From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: automarking as "E", and auto-check of rss feeds
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 09:04:06 -0700	[thread overview]

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Is there anyway in which every mailing list that I have can be set to
> 'auto-expire' and just delete old mails that are expirable without
> intervention from myself please? I have this set in my .gnus -
> ╭────
> │(setq nnmail-expiry-wait 35)
> ╰────
> which doesn't seem to be working.
>
> What I'm currently doing, as a workaround -
>
> /o RET to get all old messages, then /m O RET so that you just see the "O"
> messages.  Then go to the top of the buffer and do "C-u 5000 E" to mark
> everything as "E". Then B-e to expire messages, and q to close the group.
>
> What I would like is something that is auto-marking them as "E" as I've
> read them, so that in the fullness of time they are expired and
> deleted.

You can put (auto-expire . t) in the group parameters of any group where
you want this to happen. I think it needs to be done on a per-group
basis.

> Also, when I get up in the morning and go to the gnus buffer, I press
> "g" to get all available emails, which gets my pop3 emails and my imap
> emails, but how can I also check for any new articles in my rss feeds
> please, as this is not currently being done?

Not sure about this one. Are you not able to check the feeds at all,
ever? Or is it only troublesome right after start up? What group level
is your rss group(s)?