* Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-06 15:06 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-03-06 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

One thing I miss from Thunderbird, is the possibility to upload arge
attachments to a cloud storage and to include in the email the link to
the file instead of the original document.

Is something similar possible in gnus?

Thanks,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug

email: RMKrug<at>gmail<dot>com

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-07 15:02 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> One thing I miss from Thunderbird, is the possibility to upload arge
> attachments to a cloud storage and to include in the email the link to
> the file instead of the original document.
>
> Is something similar possible in gnus?

What mechanism does Thunderbird use to do that?

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-07 16:26   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-03-07 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> One thing I miss from Thunderbird, is the possibility to upload arge
>> attachments to a cloud storage and to include in the email the link to
>> the file instead of the original document.
>>
>> Is something similar possible in gnus?
>
> What mechanism does Thunderbird use to do that?

I don't now about the internal mechanisms, but in principal it is doing
the following:

1) Initially, cloud storage accounts are setup (e.g. ubuntu one or
dropbox)

2) when an attachment is above a certain size, it is uploaded
(presumibly https?) to the cloud storage

3) a link to the shared file on the cloud storage account is returned
and inserted ionto the email, so that the recipient can download it from
there.

The uplaoded attachments are public, i.e. can be downloaded from
everybody with the url.

Rainer

--

@ 2014-03-07 16:38     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> 3) a link to the shared file on the cloud storage account is returned
> and inserted ionto the email, so that the recipient can download it from
> there.

So it creates an HTML email with a <a href=""> link in it?  That's not
something Gnus is likely to support.

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-07 16:52       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-03-07 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> 3) a link to the shared file on the cloud storage account is
>> returned
>> and inserted ionto the email, so that the recipient can download it
>> from
>> there.
>
> So it creates an HTML email with a <a href=""> link in it?  That's not
> something Gnus is likely to support.

It also works for non-html emails - it just inserts the link as text:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2o8bfpquxz11ev/RMKrug_AcaciaNonSpatial_incFonts.pdf

No - definitely no html mails wanted here!!!!!

Rainer

--

@ 2014-03-07 16:55         ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-03-07 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer M Krug; +Cc: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> It also works for non-html emails - it just inserts the link as text:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2o8bfpquxz11ev/RMKrug_AcaciaNonSpatial_incFonts.pdf
>
> No - definitely no html mails wanted here!!!!!

So it uploads the file to somewhere, and just inserts a http://foo into
a normal text mail?

That hardly seems like a feature at all.  >"?  But if someone wants to
implement this, I'm all for it.

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-07 17:00           ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-03-07 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> It also works for non-html emails - it just inserts the link as text:
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2o8bfpquxz11ev/RMKrug_AcaciaNonSpatial_incFonts.pdf
>>
>> No - definitely no html mails wanted here!!!!!
>
> So it uploads the file to somewhere, and just inserts a http://foo into
> a normal text mail?

Yup - and it is doing this automatically when asked.

> That hardly seems like a feature at all.  >"?  But if someone wants to
> implement this, I'm all for it.

Well - this answers my question: not implemented in gnus.

I definitely do not have the lisp knowledge to do this, but I'll keep it
in mind.

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2014-03-07 19:32             ` lee
From: lee @ 2014-03-07 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>>
>>> It also works for non-html emails - it just inserts the link as text:
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2o8bfpquxz11ev/RMKrug_AcaciaNonSpatial_incFonts.pdf
>>>
>>> No - definitely no html mails wanted here!!!!!
>>
>> So it uploads the file to somewhere, and just inserts a http://foo into
>> a normal text mail?
>
> Yup - and it is doing this automatically when asked.
>

>> That hardly seems like a feature at all.  >"?  But if someone wants to
>> implement this, I'm all for it.
>
> Well - this answers my question: not implemented in gnus.
>
> I definitely do not have the lisp knowledge to do this, but I'll keep it
> in mind.

You´ll need (transparent) en- and decryption with gpg for the files
you´re storing externally, and the MUA needs to constantly verify
whether the files are still available or not and do something
appropriate, like uploading them again, in case they aren´t.  It also
needs to remove the files when the mail expires.  That may require a
background task and a lot of bandwidth, depending on how much mail you
have.

And what would be the use of a feature like this?  Why not just keep the
attachment with the message, right where it belongs?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-08  1:46               ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2014-03-08  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Within Gnus, I use

  gnus-mime-save-part-and-strip

to put large attachments somewhere where they are eventually deleted.
Unfortunately, this isn't very reliable in nnimap groups.  It creates
a new article to replace the old one, but the old one isn't always
deleted, and the new one doesn't retain the marks from the old one.

I also sometimes use a perl script from

  http://detach.optimism.cc/

to strip attachments out of e-mail and store them somewhere accessible.
This is quite reliable.

Dan

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-10  8:43                 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-03-10  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Within Gnus, I use
>
>   gnus-mime-save-part-and-strip
>
> to put large attachments somewhere where they are eventually deleted.
> Unfortunately, this isn't very reliable in nnimap groups.  It creates
> a new article to replace the old one, but the old one isn't always
> deleted, and the new one doesn't retain the marks from the old one.
>
> I also sometimes use a perl script from
>
>   http://detach.optimism.cc/
>
> to strip attachments out of e-mail and store them somewhere accessible.
> This is quite reliable.

I am not referring to saving / stripping the attachments I received, but
rather uploading large attachment I want to send. This is particularly
useful, if I have to sand a larger document to a number of people, as it
can be downloaded from the cloud storage.

Rainer

--

@ 2014-03-11  1:22                   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2014-03-11  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> I am not referring to saving / stripping the attachments I received, but
> rather uploading large attachment I want to send. This is particularly
> useful, if I have to sand a larger document to a number of people, as it
> can be downloaded from the cloud storage.

Ah, I see.  That does sound nice, and I wish more people did that
instead of sending me huge attachments!

Dan

* Re: Automatic uploading of attachments to cloud storage as Thunderbird does?
@ 2014-03-11  9:21                     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-03-11  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> I am not referring to saving / stripping the attachments I received, but
>> rather uploading large attachment I want to send. This is particularly
>> useful, if I have to sand a larger document to a number of people, as it
>> can be downloaded from the cloud storage.
>
> Ah, I see.  That does sound nice, and I wish more people did that
> instead of sending me huge attachments!

I found a bash script (Dropbox-uploader) [1], which I can use to do
exactly what I want by using bash scripts. So I will see that I can wrap
them into some emacs-lisp code and I should be able to do it - I'll post
results here.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Dan

Footnotes:
[1]  https://github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader

--

@ 2014-03-11 11:37                       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-03-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:
>> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

>>> I am not referring to saving / stripping the attachments I received, but
>>> rather uploading large attachment I want to send. This is particularly
>>> useful, if I have to sand a larger document to a number of people, as it
>>> can be downloaded from the cloud storage.

>> Ah, I see.  That does sound nice, and I wish more people did that
>> instead of sending me huge attachments!

> I found a bash script (Dropbox-uploader) [1], which I can use to do
> exactly what I want by using bash scripts. So I will see that I can
> wrap them into some emacs-lisp code and I should be able to do it -
> I'll post results here.

That would be *really* cool!

I do this kind of thing manually all the time.