Thanks for the reply. Just writing to say that the problem is still present. Now I use Ma Gnus v0.8, but the gnus init file related to news.gmane.org has remained same: (nntp "news.gmane.org" (nntp-address "news.gmane.org") (nntp-server-port 563) (nntp-stream ssl) mihkel Ted Zlatanov writes: > On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:24:36 +0200 mihkel wrote: > > m> This has been going on for a while now, but now the limit has reached :) > m> I am subscribed to several newsgroups via gmane.org and whenever I hit c > m> (mark all articles read) in Group Topic buffer Gnus asks me a > m> username. I usually hit C-g to avoid providing one. All articles are > m> marked as read then. > > m> I can read messages in gmane newsgroup without providing a > m> username. > > m> What is going on? > > I have no idea, sorry. I've never seen this happen. > > Ted