* nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 10:40 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-11-27 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

For those who haven't yet tried it:
 Move point over an nnimap folder (not sure if all IMAP servers
 implement search, but I know for sure that dovecot does), or a gmane
 nntp group, and type `G G'

 When prompted, type a string you know can be found in an article in
 that group, and press return.

 You end up in a Summary buffer, holding the matches.  Move point on top
 of an article that looks like the one you were looking for, and type `A
 T'.

 The temporary summary buffer with the matches disappear, and the
 article under point, and its entire thread (if it belongs to a thread),
 is shown in the Summary buffer of the group that was under point, when
 you did the search.  And the articles in the thread can be read,
 ticked, and responded to (with the gnus-posting-style of the actual
 group).

Just the way I've always wanted search in Gnus to work,

Many thanks to Andrew Cohen for picking this up, and making it work! :-)

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 16:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-27 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> For those who haven't yet tried it:
>  Move point over an nnimap folder (not sure if all IMAP servers
>  implement search, but I know for sure that dovecot does), or a gmane
>  nntp group, and type `G G'
>
>  When prompted, type a string you know can be found in an article in
>  that group, and press return.
>
>  You end up in a Summary buffer, holding the matches.  Move point on top
>  of an article that looks like the one you were looking for, and type `A
>  T'.

Wow.  I hadn't actually tried it yet.  That's really neat.  And very
fast and snappy, too.  And it works on Gmane newsgroups, too!  I think
this is something that I'm going to use a lot in the future...

> Many thanks to Andrew Cohen for picking this up, and making it work! :-)

*chimes in*  Very, very useful.

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 18:39 ` Tommy Kelly
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-27 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes about nnir:

>  Move point over an nnimap folder (not sure if all IMAP servers
>  implement search, but I know for sure that dovecot does)

Gmail seems to support it too.

Do you know if there is any kind of sophistication available in the
query? For example, can you search just on a given header, or build
complex booleans?

Tommy

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 18:53   ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-27 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Tommy> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes about nnir:
    >> Move point over an nnimap folder (not sure if all IMAP servers
    >> implement search, but I know for sure that dovecot does)

    Tommy> Gmail seems to support it too.

    Tommy> Do you know if there is any kind of sophistication available
    Tommy> in the query? For example, can you search just on a given
    Tommy> header, or build complex booleans?

Yes to all. Not much documentation (yet) but there is some info in the
file nnir.el.

Basically:

"G G" prompts for a query string. The string conforms to a simple search
language:

Automatic \"and\" queries
    If you specify multiple words then they will be treated as an \"and\"
    expression intended to match all components.

Phrase searches
    If you wrap your query in double-quotes then it will be treated as a
    literal string.

Negative terms
    If you precede a term with \"-\" then it will negate that.

\"OR\" queries
    If you include an upper-case \"OR\" in your search it will cause the
    term before it and the term after it to be treated as alternatives.

If you call "G G" with a prefix arg it will prompt for a query string
and then ask what part of messages to search. The options are:

"Whole message"
"Subject"
"To"
"From"

If you type anything else, it will be interpreted as the name of a
HEADER to search (e.g. if you type "Message-ID" it will search for your
query-string in the Message-ID header).

Finally if you select "Imap" it will interpret your query as a raw imap
query (consult the RFC for the format of Imap queries).

Regards,
Andy

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 19:28     ` Tommy Kelly
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Tommy Kelly @ 2010-11-27 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

nnir has been around for a while though, right? So was this thread
triggered by some upgrading or what?

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 19:39       ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-27 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Tommy> nnir has been around for a while though, right? So was this
    Tommy> thread triggered by some upgrading or what?

nnir has been completely rewritten over the past month.

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 19:47       ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2010-11-27 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nnir has been around for a while though, right? So was this thread
> triggered by some upgrading or what?

Yes.  Significant upgrade.  Enough changes that I wasn't aware of the A-T functionality prior to Steiner's first message in this thread.  Have to try that out next chance I get.  However, since the release, I've been greatly appreciating the raw Imap search capability, particularly with the Exchange server at work where I find the ability to search for specific From's, To's, Cc's and timeframes very key as I find those easier to remember than body or subject text.

Thanks,
--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 20:02       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-11-27 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> nnir has been around for a while though, right? So was this thread
> triggered by some upgrading or what?

As Andrew said: it has been completely rewritten

From a user POV:
 - nnir on imap now allows warping the thread to the actual nnimap group
   (where you can tick the articles, respond to them, whatever)
 - gmane search is now supported with nnir, with the same, very, very,
   nice warp-thread-to-the-actual-group functionality.  Previously you
   could search with nnweb, but you didn't have the possibility to bring
   found articles to the front again, by warping to the group and
   ticking them

And it's very snappy and fast.

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 20:25         ` Andrew Cohen
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-27 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    >> nnir has been around for a while though, right? So was this
    >> thread triggered by some upgrading or what?

    Steinar> As Andrew said: it has been completely rewritten

    Steinar> From a user POV: - nnir on imap now allows warping the
    Steinar> thread to the actual nnimap group (where you can tick the
    Steinar> articles, respond to them, whatever) - gmane search is now
    Steinar> supported with nnir, with the same, very, very, nice
    Steinar> warp-thread-to-the-actual-group functionality.  Previously
    Steinar> you could search with nnweb, but you didn't have the
    Steinar> possibility to bring found articles to the front again, by
    Steinar> warping to the group and ticking them

Two other big changes (that probably haven't had a lot of testing: hint,
hint) are the abilities to

1. Search multiple groups (even on different back-ends) by
   process-marking in the group buffer.

   I find myself frequently searching through my personal email (on an
   nnimap back-end) along with gnus.general (on gmane).

2. Search an entire server (from the server buffer: just type "G" to
   search the server on the current line; prefix arg works as usual).

Best,
Andy

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-27 20:38           ` Tom Rauchenwald
From: Tom Rauchenwald @ 2010-11-27 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:

> Two other big changes (that probably haven't had a lot of testing: hint,
> hint) are the abilities to
>
> 1. Search multiple groups (even on different back-ends) by
>    process-marking in the group buffer.
>
>    I find myself frequently searching through my personal email (on an
>    nnimap back-end) along with gnus.general (on gmane).
>
> 2. Search an entire server (from the server buffer: just type "G" to
>    search the server on the current line; prefix arg works as usual).
>

> Best,
> Andy

Another thing I just thought off/discovered: You can index your local
nntp-spool with namazu as well. I use leafnode, the setup is basically
the same as with email.

-tom

--
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
                -- Bullet Tooth Tony in Snatch

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-28  9:16           ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-11-28  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Nov 28 2010,Andrew Cohen wrote:

First off, nnir search on IMAP is working well and fairly fast.
Fantastic and thanks for that.

[snipped 19 lines]

> 1. Search multiple groups (even on different back-ends) by
>    process-marking in the group buffer.

[ Gnus -- 20 ]
  [ misc -- 20 ]
        10: nnimap+gmail:INBOX
        10: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
         *: nndraft:queue
         *: nndraft:drafts

If I do a G G on the gnus-help(some FAQ questions in email) and
provide a search term 'mail','larsi' all I get

Search produced empty results.
gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group: Search produced empty \
results.

No idea why it doesn't work with local spool files or nnml files.

[snipped 15 lines]

 sivaram

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-28  9:21           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-28  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:

> 2. Search an entire server (from the server buffer: just type "G" to
>    search the server on the current line; prefix arg works as usual).

Nice.  And I notice that if searching a particular group on the server
takes too long, and you `C-g' it, it just continues on to the other
groups.  (My spam IMAP folder is really large.  :-)

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-28 13:22             ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-28 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Sivaram> [ Gnus -- 20 ] [ misc -- 20 ] 10: nnimap+gmail:INBOX 10:
    Sivaram> nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help *: nndraft:queue *:
    Sivaram> nndraft:drafts

    Sivaram> If I do a G G on the gnus-help(some FAQ questions in email)
    Sivaram> and provide a search term 'mail','larsi' all I get

    Sivaram> Search produced empty results.
    Sivaram> gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group: Couldn't request group:
    Sivaram> Search produced empty \ results.

    Sivaram> No idea why it doesn't work with local spool files or nnml
    Sivaram> files.

I'm not sure I fully understand, but it seems you are trying to search
an nndoc group? Or maybe nnml?

nnir uses an index to perform search queries. imap servers provide such
an index by default (which is why imap searches are enabled by default)
and gmane also has an index (ditto) but for any other backend searches
you need to provide an index yourself. Unless you have created an index
for nndoc, nnml or a local spool file, searching won't work on these
servers.

I am trying to write up some documentation so this will be clear, but it
may take a while. If you want to set up an index you can look at the
comments toward the beginning of nnir.el

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-28 13:31             ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Lars> Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:
    >> 2. Search an entire server (from the server buffer: just type "G"
    >> to search the server on the current line; prefix arg works as
    >> usual).

    Lars> Nice.  And I notice that if searching a particular group on
    Lars> the server takes too long, and you `C-g' it, it just continues
    Lars> on to the other groups.  (My spam IMAP folder is really large.
    Lars> :-)

Or you can add your spam groups to gnus-ignored-newsgroups and they
won't get searched at all.

A.

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-28 13:36               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-11-28 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:

> Or you can add your spam groups to gnus-ignored-newsgroups and they
> won't get searched at all.

Hm...  that sounds a bit drastic.  Perhaps there should be an
nnir-specific way to ignore groups?

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-28 14:13                 ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-28 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Lars> Andrew Cohen <cohen@andy.bu.edu> writes:
    >> Or you can add your spam groups to gnus-ignored-newsgroups and
    >> they won't get searched at all.

    Lars> Hm...  that sounds a bit drastic.  Perhaps there should be an
    Lars> nnir-specific way to ignore groups?

Easy enough to do. But whats the objection to gnus-ignored-newsgroups? I
can still access these groups, they just don't show up on the active
list.

Hmm, I guess I subscribed them before I put them on the ignored
list. Once on the ignored list subscribing is kind of difficult since
they never show up.

OK, I'm convinced: nnir-ignored-newsgroups it is.

Andy

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-29 17:56               ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-11-29 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

[snipped 18 lines]

> nnir uses an index to perform search queries. imap servers provide such
> an index by default (which is why imap searches are enabled by default)
> and gmane also has an index (ditto) but for any other backend searches
> you need to provide an index yourself. Unless you have created an index
> for nndoc, nnml or a local spool file, searching won't work on these
> servers.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I've had a look at the nnir.el doc
strings and I can't seem to get the nnml thing set up to run with
find-grep even with the examples there.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))

is all I have for nnml.  How do I weave in nnir find-grep support in?

[snipped 8 lines]

 sivaram

* Re: nnir r00lz!
@ 2010-11-29 19:37                 ` Andrew Cohen
From: Andrew Cohen @ 2010-11-29 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Sivaram> Thanks for clarifying that for me.  I've had a look at the
    Sivaram> nnir.el doc strings and I can't seem to get the nnml thing
    Sivaram> set up to run with find-grep even with the examples there.

Check out the file nnir.el (the comments at the beginning, not the doc
strings). Hopefully this will become real documentation soon.

    Sivaram> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))

    Sivaram> is all I have for nnml.  How do I weave in nnir find-grep
    Sivaram> support in?

You need to add (at least) two items to the select method: an
nnml-directory specification and an nnir-search-engine specification.
The directory specification should be

(nnml-directory "FILL IN")

where "FILL IN" should be the name of your nnml directory and the search
engine specification should be

(nnir-search-engine find-grep)

Note two things:

1. find-grep will likely be slow and
2. find-grep is totally untested and may not (probably doesn't) work.