From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: More info please WAS Re: Folded subject line [...]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:42:26 -0500	[thread overview]

Sorry to be dog about this... but I'm not getting how to do this... I
think this thread may have just died a quiet death so trying to
resurrect it here with a repost of my questions and Reiners input.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
Reprint of:

From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
Subject: Re: Folded subject line with inserted Keywords line
Newsgroups: gmane.emacs.gnus.general
To: ding@gnus.org
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 12:05:53 -0500

> On Sat, Oct 03 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> I'd like to do something so that in that group, I can see that
>> `keywords' line in summary view.  I'm thinking one could create a
>> folded Subject line from the Subject line and the Keywords line.
> [...]
>>   5O  18-Sep [  12: Steinar Bang        ] Re: .newsrc.eld is a black hole for old groups
>
> You can use a gnus-user-format-function-X to do this.  Here's an
> (untested!) sketch to get you started:

Thanks for the tips...
I'm probably doing this all wrong... I checked a few things you
mention and added the part to summary-line-format, you recommended.
(Explained better below) but then I have a serious problem opening a
group.

> (defun rs-gnus-summary-line-keywords (header)
>   "Display keywords of message in summary line.
>
> This function is intended to be used in `gnus-summary-line-format-alist', with
> \(defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-X 'rs-gnus-summary-line-keywords).
> See (info \"(gnus)Group Line Specification\").
>
> You need to add `Keywords' to `nnmail-extra-headers' and
> `gnus-extra-headers', see Info node `(gnus)To From Newsgroups'."

That part seems to have been taken care of some how, maybe by:
(setq gnus-visible-headers
"^From:\\|^Subject:\\|^To:\\|^Date:\\|^Message-ID:\\|^X-Spam-Status:\\|^X-HP.*:\\|^Newsgroup:\\|^X-Newsgroups:\\|^Keyword:\\|^Gnus-Warning:")

Or maybe from somewhere else because those variable do not show all of
those.

But at least C-h v on either `nnmail-extra-headers' or
`gnus-extra-headers' shows:
  Its value is
  (To Newsgroup Keywords)

>   (let ((case-fold-search t)
> 	(keywords (or (cdr (assq 'Keywords (mail-header-extra header)))
> 		     "")))
>     (if keywords
> 	(format "\n                           %s" keywords)
>       "")))
>
> (defalias 'gnus-user-format-function-keywords 'rs-gnus-summary-line-keywords)
>
> Then add "%u&keywords;" to the end of your `gnus-summary-line-format'
> for that group.

For me, that leaves a setting like:
"%O%2t%U%R%7d%z%I%(%[%4L: %-20,20f%]%) %s %u&keywords;\n"

(After adding to gnus-summary-line-format and setting for current
session with customize... I then did `C-h v' on
`gnus-summary-line-format'  to get the value listed above)

I suspect that summary line is the culprit but don't know enough about
it to tell.

Anyway, with the settings above and having `eval'd region' on your
code, when opening a group gnus goes thru the opening of a group
routine up to the point where it says something like
`summary [...] done'...  But then the group never opens and I see the
clock for a cursor... ... nothing more happens... ever.