* accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-18 21:02 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-08-18 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Don't just say
  Please answer y or n.  Unable to open server nntp+news, go offline? (y or n)
Also add "q".

I mean the user accidentally started gnus, and now wishes to get out
gracefully, without ^G.

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-20 21:48 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-08-20 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 05:02:11 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Don't just say
j>   Please answer y or n.  Unable to open server nntp+news, go offline? (y or n)
j> Also add "q".

j> I mean the user accidentally started gnus, and now wishes to get out
j> gracefully, without ^G.

How about:

You don't seem to have Gnus configured, or the server nntp+news could
not be opened.  Would you like to (q)uit or go (o)ffline or (r)ead the
Gnus manual? (qor)

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:37:04 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

j> Also, today I just accidentally started a _second_ gnus in a second
j> emacs... luckily I got out of that alive without damaging .newsrc.eld,
j> but perhaps the message should mention 'Holmes, you might have a gnus
j> already running..." too.

I don't think that's easy to achieve, and I can't even guess what a good
solution might be.  My window manager (StumpWM) lets me go to a window
or start it if it's not there; I thus have a `C-t g' binding to run a
Emacs Gnus window named "gnus" or go to the running one.  A generic
solution would be a lot harder.

Ted

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-21 11:22   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-08-21 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tzz; +Cc: ding

>How about:

>You don't seem to have Gnus configured, or the server nntp+news could
>not be opened.  Would you like to (q)uit or go (o)ffline or (r)ead the

Make sure there is a quit option explicitly marked as "quit without
saving any files", or else all one can do is hit ^G, as we all know
that usually "quit" in gnus involves saving a file.

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-21 19:01     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-08-21 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:22:24 +0800 jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:

>> How about:
>> You don't seem to have Gnus configured, or the server nntp+news could
>> not be opened.  Would you like to (q)uit or go (o)ffline or (r)ead the

j> Make sure there is a quit option explicitly marked as "quit without
j> saving any files", or else all one can do is hit ^G, as we all know
j> that usually "quit" in gnus involves saving a file.

another try:

You don't seem to have Gnus configured, or the server nntp+news could
not be opened.  Would you like to (q)uit and save, (Q) quit without
saving, go (o)ffline, or (r)ead the Gnus manual? (qQor)

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-21 19:23       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2009-08-21 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:01:32 -0500, Ted wrote:

> You don't seem to have Gnus configured, or the server nntp+news could
> not be opened.  Would you like to (q)uit and save, (Q) quit without
> saving, go (o)ffline, or (r)ead the Gnus manual? (qQor)

 "or brew some (c)offee, have a nice cup of (t)ea, start (v)m instead,
  spawn t(h)underbird, run (e)liza, t(w)itter about this troublesome
  event, (s)end a bugreport to someone, or (f)lip a random bit? (qQorctvhewsf)"

  Best wishes,

    Adam

--
 "The unavoidable price of reliability is simplicity"         Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-21 19:44         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2009-08-21 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:23:38 +0200 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:01:32 -0500, Ted wrote:
>> You don't seem to have Gnus configured, or the server nntp+news could
>> not be opened.  Would you like to (q)uit and save, (Q) quit without
>> saving, go (o)ffline, or (r)ead the Gnus manual? (qQor)

AS>  "or brew some (c)offee, have a nice cup of (t)ea, start (v)m instead,
AS>   spawn t(h)underbird, run (e)liza, t(w)itter about this troublesome
AS>   event, (s)end a bugreport to someone, or (f)lip a random bit? (qQorctvhewsf)"

Obviously we should just launch a web browser pointed at the EmacsWiki

;)

Ted

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-30  5:17       ` Graham Murray
From: Graham Murray @ 2009-08-30  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> That sounds rather interesting. Any chance this could be in-
> tegrated into the main source?

Or change it so that instead of failing if gnus is already running it
automatically runs 'gnus-slave' instead.

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-29 23:10     ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2009-08-29 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> wrote:

> To avoid accidentally starting Gnus a second time, I use the following
> code, which requires that you have the lockfile program in your path.
> After a crash, the lock file will still exist, in which case you can
> steal the lock.

> It's amazing how often this has saved me from having two copies of Gnus
> running!

> (add-hook 'gnus-before-startup-hook 'jdc-gnus-lock)

> (defun jdc-gnus-lock ()
> [...]

That sounds rather interesting. Any chance this could be in-
tegrated into the main source?

Tim

* Re: accidentally started gnus
@ 2009-08-25 12:46   ` Dan Christensen
From: Dan Christensen @ 2009-08-25 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

To avoid accidentally starting Gnus a second time, I use the following
code, which requires that you have the lockfile program in your path.
After a crash, the lock file will still exist, in which case you can
steal the lock.

It's amazing how often this has saved me from having two copies of Gnus
running!

(add-hook 'gnus-before-startup-hook 'jdc-gnus-lock)

(defun jdc-gnus-lock ()
  (or (equal 0 (shell-command "lockfile -r0 ~/Gnus/lock"))
      (y-or-n-p "Lockfile exists.  Steal lock? ")
      (progn (kill-buffer "*Group*")
	     (error "Unable to lock ~/Gnus/lock"))))

(add-hook 'gnus-after-exiting-gnus-hook 'jdc-gnus-unlock)

(defun jdc-gnus-unlock ()
  (shell-command "rm -f ~/Gnus/lock"))

Dan

* Re: accidentally started gnus
       [not found] <op.uywjaz0jq40fbn@balu.cs.uni-paderborn.de>
@ 2009-08-19 16:37 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2009-08-19 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Also, today I just accidentally started a _second_ gnus in a second
emacs... luckily I got out of that alive without damaging .newsrc.eld,
but perhaps the message should mention 'Holmes, you might have a gnus
already running..." too.