* nnmairix configuration
@ 2009-05-09 17:03 Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-05-09 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I can set up an nnmairix server and perform a search, but the results
are not appearing in any groups in a way that I understand. This is with
gnus v5.13, and dovecot serving locally-stored maildirs via nnimap. The
only way I can think of to describe my poblem is a blow-by-blow
description I'm afraid. Thanks to David Engster for the help getting to
this point on a previous thread.

From a clean start (no nnmairix servers, and no maildirs containing
mairix in their name), I do

1. `G b c' to set up a nnmairix server (name "general", backend
   "nnimap:dc", search group "found", yes to maildir++)

2. That causes a group named nnmairix+general:found to appear

3. It also creates a maildir named zz_mairix-found-1; in addition to
   cur,tmp,new this contains a file called maildirfolder.

4. `G b i' to perform a search. In the message buffer I see "Matched 5
   mesages". nnmairix+general:found now has a zero next to it whereas
   initially it had an asterisk.

5. maildir zz_mairix-found-1 now has two extra files:
   dovecot.index.log and dovecot-uidlist

6. In addition, a new maildir named .zz_mairix-found-1 has been created
   containing the 5 symlinks in cur/. Unlike the maildir without the
   initial '.', this one has no extra files (i.e. no files named
   dovecot.index.log dovecot-uidlist maildirfolder)

7. 'g' in the group buffer makes the empty nnmairix+general:found
   disappear; 'L' brings it back with a zero next to it showing it's
   empty.

8. At this point I feel like I should be seeing those 5 search hits
   which I know are in .zz_mairix-found-1, and I start making it up as I
   go along. I try manually subscribing to .zz_mairix-found-1 ('^'
   followed by <space> on nnimap:dc, followed by u on
   .zz_mairix-found-1). A group named .zz_mairix-found-1 now appears,
   and 'g' causes 2 messages to appear in that group. Why 2 and not 5?

9. I now try a new search, resulting in 1902 hits. The group buffer is
   unaltered until I hit 'g' at which point 277 of the hits appear in
   .zz_mairix-found-1. They are all valid hits, but where did 277 come
   from when there were 1902 hits? And anyway, why are they only
   appearing in this maildir with the '.' at the beginning of its name,
   and not in the group that was created by `G b c'?

Thanks for any further help,

Dan

* Re: nnmairix configuration
@ 2009-05-09 17:28 ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-05-09 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> I can set up an nnmairix server and perform a search, but the results
> are not appearing in any groups in a way that I understand. This is with
> gnus v5.13, and dovecot serving locally-stored maildirs via nnimap. The
> only way I can think of to describe my poblem is a blow-by-blow
> description I'm afraid.

Thank you for the detailed report.

> 2. That causes a group named nnmairix+general:found to appear

Could you please do a "G E" (Group info) and "M-e" (select method) over
the group and post the corresponding outputs?

> 8. At this point I feel like I should be seeing those 5 search hits
>    which I know are in .zz_mairix-found-1, and I start making it up as I
>    go along. I try manually subscribing to .zz_mairix-found-1 ('^'
>    followed by <space> on nnimap:dc, followed by u on
>    .zz_mairix-found-1). A group named .zz_mairix-found-1 now appears,
>    and 'g' causes 2 messages to appear in that group. Why 2 and not 5?
>
> 9. I now try a new search, resulting in 1902 hits. The group buffer is
>    unaltered until I hit 'g' at which point 277 of the hits appear in
>    .zz_mairix-found-1. They are all valid hits, but where did 277 come
>    from when there were 1902 hits? And anyway, why are they only
>    appearing in this maildir with the '.' at the beginning of its name,
>    and not in the group that was created by `G b c'?

It seems you are not using Dovecot with Maildir++. What are you using as
mail_location in your dovecot.conf ?

You could try creating a nnmairix server without Maildir++. This should
at least get you the search results in the correct group. Maybe this
does also fix your message count problem - I'm not sure what's the
problem here.

Regards,
David

* Re: nnmairix configuration
@ 2009-05-09 18:01   ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2009-05-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
>> I can set up an nnmairix server and perform a search, but the results
>> are not appearing in any groups in a way that I understand. This is with
>> gnus v5.13, and dovecot serving locally-stored maildirs via nnimap. The
>> only way I can think of to describe my poblem is a blow-by-blow
>> description I'm afraid.
>
> Thank you for the detailed report.
>
>> 2. That causes a group named nnmairix+general:found to appear
>
> Could you please do a "G E" (Group info) and "M-e" (select method) over
> the group and post the corresponding outputs?

`G E'

("nnmairix+general:found" 3 nil nil
 (nnmairix "general"
	   (nnmairix-backend nnimap)
	   (nnmairix-backend-server "dc")
	   (nnmairix-mairix-command "mairix")
	   (nnmairix-hidden-folders t)
	   (nnmairix-default-group "found"))
 ((numcorr nil 0 0)
  (threads . t)
  (query "t:Princeton" "t:UNIX")
  (folder . "zz_mairix-found-1")))

M-e

(nnmairix "general"
	  (nnmairix-backend nnimap)
	  (nnmairix-backend-server "dc")
	  (nnmairix-mairix-command "mairix")
	  (nnmairix-hidden-folders t)
	  (nnmairix-default-group "found"))

>> 8. At this point I feel like I should be seeing those 5 search hits
>>    which I know are in .zz_mairix-found-1, and I start making it up as I
>>    go along. I try manually subscribing to .zz_mairix-found-1 ('^'
>>    followed by <space> on nnimap:dc, followed by u on
>>    .zz_mairix-found-1). A group named .zz_mairix-found-1 now appears,
>>    and 'g' causes 2 messages to appear in that group. Why 2 and not 5?
>>
>> 9. I now try a new search, resulting in 1902 hits. The group buffer is
>>    unaltered until I hit 'g' at which point 277 of the hits appear in
>>    .zz_mairix-found-1. They are all valid hits, but where did 277 come
>>    from when there were 1902 hits? And anyway, why are they only
>>    appearing in this maildir with the '.' at the beginning of its name,
>>    and not in the group that was created by `G b c'?
>

> It seems you are not using Dovecot with Maildir++. What are you using as
> mail_location in your dovecot.conf ?

mail_location = maildir:/home/dan/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

~/Maildir is a (symlink to a) directory containing several maildirs

> You could try creating a nnmairix server without Maildir++. This should
> at least get you the search results in the correct group. Maybe this
> does also fix your message count problem - I'm not sure what's the

Yes that seems to do it (results go to group and message count correct),
thanks again!

Dan

> problem here.
>
> Regards,
> David

* Re: nnmairix configuration
@ 2009-05-09 18:11     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2009-05-09 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:
> mail_location = maildir:/home/dan/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

Ah, that explains it. LAYOUT=fs deactivates Maildir++ and uses physical
directories for subfolders instead.

>> You could try creating a nnmairix server without Maildir++. This should
>> at least get you the search results in the correct group. Maybe this
>> does also fix your message count problem - I'm not sure what's the
>
> Yes that seems to do it (results go to group and message count correct),

Good to hear.

Regards,
David