* emacsclient interactions with exiting a summary
@ 2009-05-08 19:38 Ross Patterson
From: Ross Patterson @ 2009-05-08 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I have a small utility that uses emacsclient -e and inotify to have gnus
check for new news in a group when the maildir behind the group changes.
The actually backend is nnimap going through a local imap server, so
gnus isn't actually manipulating the maildirs, just imap.

The problem is that if emacsclient happens to call:

    (gnus-group-jump-to-group group)
    (gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group)

while I'm exiting that group's summary buffer having changed any flags
(such as removing a tick) then all the flags will be lost.  Sometimes
read articles will suddenly become unread.

I would assume there is something that is being written during summary
exit that is being interfered by gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group.
I'd imagine there's some check I can do in my emacsclient call to avoid
the clash but I don't have a clue where to start looking and there's
*way* too much code to step through in the debugger.

Can anyone help me get on the right track?

Ross

only message in thread, other threads:[~2009-05-08 19:38 UTC | newest]