* nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-03-28 12:27 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-03-28 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

As of yesterday, we have moved from Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007
and now Gnus won't work.

Yes, I have found the postings that indicate that nnimap won't work with
Exchange 2007 and that it's Microsoft's fault.  Great.  But is there
anything I can do?

I googled and found a posting from Ted Zlatanov discussing "setting up
an IMAP mail source that Gnus uses to download new mail into a local
Maildir".  I've emailed him but maybe someone on this list (or Ted if he
sees this before he seems my email) can tell me what needs to be done?

I have well over 10 years experience with using Gnus to do my email
processing.  I really can't stand the thought of doing it any other way.

Thanks for any help.

...Jake

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development

* Re: nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-03-28 14:48 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-03-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Colman; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:27:25 -0400 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:

Jake> As of yesterday, we have moved from Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007
Jake> and now Gnus won't work.

Jake> Yes, I have found the postings that indicate that nnimap won't work with
Jake> Exchange 2007 and that it's Microsoft's fault.  Great.  But is there
Jake> anything I can do?

Jake> I googled and found a posting from Ted Zlatanov discussing "setting up
Jake> an IMAP mail source that Gnus uses to download new mail into a local
Jake> Maildir".  I've emailed him but maybe someone on this list (or Ted if he
Jake> sees this before he seems my email) can tell me what needs to be done?

Jake> I have well over 10 years experience with using Gnus to do my email
Jake> processing.  I really can't stand the thought of doing it any other way.

I know the feeling.  Well, my settings are:

  (setq
   gnus-select-method '(nnmaildir "home"
				  (directory "~/Maildir")
				  (directory-files nnheader-directory-files-safe)
				  (get-new-mail t))
   mail-sources
      '((imap
	 :server "myserver"
	 :stream tls
	 :predicate "UNSEEN UNDELETED"
	 :fetchflag "\\Seen"))
   )

I think that's all you need, but merge it carefully into your own setup.

I checked in an IMAP fix from Michael Harnois just now that may make
IMAP on Exchange 2007 OK for you.  I don't use Exchange as an IMAP
server myself, I've already set things up as you see above, so make sure
to report any problems you find if you go that route.

Ted

* Re: nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-03-28 15:18   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-03-28 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ted Zlatanov'; +Cc: ding

Ted,

First, thanks for getting back to me.

I have not updated my gnus from a nightly snapshot since Feb 28 yet I seem to already have the fix that you say you just committed.  Am I missing something here?  Now I'm confused!

How do I use this suggested setup of your's?  What will it do for me exactly?  I currently use nnimap-split rules to split my email into folders on the IMAP server.  If I do what you suggested as a workaround, what will change and how do I work with it?

Thanks.

...Jake

@ 2008-03-28 15:32     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-03-28 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Colman; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:18:28 -0400 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:

JC> I have not updated my gnus from a nightly snapshot since Feb 28 yet
JC> I seem to already have the fix that you say you just committed.  Am
JC> I missing something here?  Now I'm confused!

"cvs status nnimap.el" should say 7.43.  If it does, you're fine.

JC> How do I use this suggested setup of your's?  What will it do for me
JC> exactly?  I currently use nnimap-split rules to split my email into
JC> folders on the IMAP server.  If I do what you suggested as a
JC> workaround, what will change and how do I work with it?

It will take the new mail from your IMAP mail source and put it into
your "home" Maildir.  The mail will remain on IMAP, so you'll have two
copies of it forever.  You can, instead, delete the originals but I
prefer not to.  Disk space is cheap, resending e-mails is annoying.

Please don't top-quote.

Ted

* Re: nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-03-28 15:40       ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-03-28 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ted Zlatanov'; +Cc: ding

Ted,

Sorry for the top-quote.  I'm stuck using Outlook for the moment (until I resolve my IMAP issue) and I cannot cite your message.  This makes it difficult for you to read my reply unless I do it this way.  Please bear with me.

The patch that you sent was a reverse patch.  It shows what line to add to get the old behavior.  Instead, I reversed it and things seem better.  I'm not crashing out and Gnus seems to be catching up on a hell of a lot of old marks from my server.  It's certainly bust doing something - unless it hung.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

...Jake

JC> I have not updated my gnus from a nightly snapshot since Feb 28 yet
JC> I seem to already have the fix that you say you just committed.  Am
JC> I missing something here?  Now I'm confused!

"cvs status nnimap.el" should say 7.43.  If it does, you're fine.

JC> How do I use this suggested setup of your's?  What will it do for me
JC> exactly?  I currently use nnimap-split rules to split my email into
JC> folders on the IMAP server.  If I do what you suggested as a
JC> workaround, what will change and how do I work with it?

It will take the new mail from your IMAP mail source and put it into
your "home" Maildir.  The mail will remain on IMAP, so you'll have two
copies of it forever.  You can, instead, delete the originals but I
prefer not to.  Disk space is cheap, resending e-mails is annoying.

Please don't top-quote.

Ted

The information contained in this message is confidential and protected
by law. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender and delete this message.

Any unauthorized copying of this message or unauthorized distribution
of the information contained herein is prohibited.

* Re: nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-03-28 15:56         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-03-28 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Colman; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:40:14 -0400 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:

JC> Sorry for the top-quote.  I'm stuck using Outlook for the moment
JC> (until I resolve my IMAP issue) and I cannot cite your message.
JC> This makes it difficult for you to read my reply unless I do it this
JC> way.  Please bear with me.

I didn't know Outlook had no way at all to quote properly.  Still, just
don't quote if you can't help the top-quoting.

JC> The patch that you sent was a reverse patch.  It shows what line to
JC> add to get the old behavior.  Instead, I reversed it and things seem
JC> better.  I'm not crashing out and Gnus seems to be catching up on a
JC> hell of a lot of old marks from my server.  It's certainly bust
JC> doing something - unless it hung.

Actually Michael sent it reversed, and I applied the right (reversed
twice) version to CVS.  Sorry for the confusion, I should have mentioned
that.

Ted

* Re: nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-03-28 16:56           ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-03-28 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

   TZ> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:40:14 -0400 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:
   JC> Sorry for the top-quote.  I'm stuck using Outlook for the moment
   JC> (until I resolve my IMAP issue) and I cannot cite your message.
   JC> This makes it difficult for you to read my reply unless I do it this
   JC> way.  Please bear with me.

   TZ> I didn't know Outlook had no way at all to quote properly.
   TZ> Still, just don't quote if you can't help the top-quoting.

   JC> The patch that you sent was a reverse patch.  It shows what line to
   JC> add to get the old behavior.  Instead, I reversed it and things seem
   JC> better.  I'm not crashing out and Gnus seems to be catching up on a
   JC> hell of a lot of old marks from my server.  It's certainly bust
   JC> doing something - unless it hung.

   TZ> Actually Michael sent it reversed, and I applied the right (reversed
   TZ> twice) version to CVS.  Sorry for the confusion, I should have mentioned
   TZ> that.

   TZ> Ted

Ok.  So now I am sort of up and running with IMAP on Exchange 2007 and
Gnus using the patch that Ted posted.

When Gnus starts, I see a series of messages of the form:

nnimap: Mailbox INBOX/xxx/yyy modified

But then it hangs and I see no activity.  if I C-g and then M-x gnus it
gets right in.

Anyone have any suggestions?

...Jake

--

@ 2008-03-28 17:29       ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-03-28 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ted Zlatanov; +Cc: ding

   JC> How do I use this suggested setup of your's?  What will it do for me
   JC> exactly?  I currently use nnimap-split rules to split my email into
   JC> folders on the IMAP server.  If I do what you suggested as a
   JC> workaround, what will change and how do I work with it?

   TZ> It will take the new mail from your IMAP mail source and put it into
   TZ> your "home" Maildir.  The mail will remain on IMAP, so you'll have two
   TZ> copies of it forever.  You can, instead, delete the originals but I
   TZ> prefer not to.  Disk space is cheap, resending e-mails is annoying.

Ted,

Using your alternate setup, would the IMAP mail be split appropriately
into my "home" Maildir?  I guess I'm still confused as to how I would
convert from broken IMAP to a more uable alternative.

Even with the patch, IMAP access is very slow and many actions result in
a warning such as:

(6) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error Internal error, tag
    201 status BAD code nil text The specified message set is invalid.)

...Jake

--

@ 2008-03-28 17:47         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-03-28 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Colman; +Cc: ding, Simon Josefsson

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:29:10 -0400 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:

Jake> Using your alternate setup, would the IMAP mail be split appropriately
Jake> into my "home" Maildir?  I guess I'm still confused as to how I would
Jake> convert from broken IMAP to a more uable alternative.

You need to set up your split methods, since now nnmaildir (through
nnmail) is doing the splitting:

(setq
 nnmail-split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy
 nnmail-split-fancy '(|
                      (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
                      (: spam-split 'spam-use-regex-headers)
                      (: spam-split 'spam-use-bbdb)
                      "mail"))

This is just my setup, but you see how it works.

Jake> Even with the patch, IMAP access is very slow and many actions result in
Jake> a warning such as:

Jake> (6) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (error Internal error, tag
Jake>     201 status BAD code nil text The specified message set is invalid.)

Sorry about that, save the log and post it here if you can.  At this
point, if you choose to use Exchange, you have to produce bug reports
because I don't use it so I can't test any changes through normal usage.
You'll have to enable imap-debug and submit the contents of the
*imap-debug* buffer with your bug report.  Simon Josefsson was the
original imap.el developer and he hasn't responded to my Exchange bug
reports recently so I don't know how quickly we'd resolve these issues.

Simon, are you busy or unable to work on this stuff?  Have you seen the
Exchange problems, and is resolving them of interest to you?

Ted

* Re: nnimap and Exchange 2007
@ 2008-04-01 14:13             ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2008-04-01 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Colman; +Cc: Ted Zlatanov, ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

>    TZ> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:40:14 -0400 Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:
>    JC> Sorry for the top-quote.  I'm stuck using Outlook for the moment
>    JC> (until I resolve my IMAP issue) and I cannot cite your message.
>    JC> This makes it difficult for you to read my reply unless I do it this
>    JC> way.  Please bear with me.
>
>    TZ> I didn't know Outlook had no way at all to quote properly.
>    TZ> Still, just don't quote if you can't help the top-quoting.
>
>    JC> The patch that you sent was a reverse patch.  It shows what line to
>    JC> add to get the old behavior.  Instead, I reversed it and things seem
>    JC> better.  I'm not crashing out and Gnus seems to be catching up on a
>    JC> hell of a lot of old marks from my server.  It's certainly bust
>    JC> doing something - unless it hung.
>
>    TZ> Actually Michael sent it reversed, and I applied the right (reversed
>    TZ> twice) version to CVS.  Sorry for the confusion, I should have mentioned
>    TZ> that.
>
>    TZ> Ted
>
> Ok.  So now I am sort of up and running with IMAP on Exchange 2007 and
> Gnus using the patch that Ted posted.
>
> When Gnus starts, I see a series of messages of the form:
>
> nnimap: Mailbox INBOX/xxx/yyy modified
>
> But then it hangs and I see no activity.  if I C-g and then M-x gnus it
> gets right in.

Yeah, the patch was incorrect.  I have reverted it.

/Simon