* No Gnus don't get new articles after server change.
@ 2005-09-29  8:59 Maciek Pasternacki
From: Maciek Pasternacki @ 2005-09-29  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use No Gnus (CVS checkout now from a few days ago) on GNU Emacs 22
(fresh checkout too).  Some time ago my primary Usenet server crashed
and was reinstalled, and article numbers were lost.  From that time on
whatever I do with Gnus to rehash article numbers, it doesn't see new
articles when offline. I.e. I start up Gnus, see all groups on native
server caught up (no new articles) (on other NNTP servers I do see
other articles, so do I get mail via nnmail).  When after some time
I hit `g', Gnus gets new articles -- but only those that were sent
after Gnus was started.  I can use groups normally while Gnus is on;
then I quit Emacs and when I start Gnus again, there are no unread
articles on all native groups (even if I left some unread ones when
quitting Gnus -- those are caught-up too).

I tried all I could think of to re-initialize native server; I have
even gone to what I think is complete rehash:

 - un-agentize primary server (it might be some old agent files left
   over);
 - M-x gnus-agent-expire, and let it delete all files related to
   server;
 - M-x gnus-agent-regenerate, just in case;
 - M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups, to make Gnus forget all
   numbers, marks and everything related to server;
 - catch-up (`c' from *Group* buffer) on all native groups;
 - agentize server again

Doesn't work too.  I still can't see new articles.  Any ideas what
might be wrong?

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { ...so I talked about conscience, and I talked about pain,

* Re: No Gnus don't get new articles after server change.
@ 2005-10-03  5:23 ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2005-10-03  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> writes:

> I use No Gnus (CVS checkout now from a few days ago) on GNU Emacs 22
> (fresh checkout too).  Some time ago my primary Usenet server
> crashed and was reinstalled, and article numbers were lost.  From
> that time on whatever I do with Gnus to rehash article numbers, it
> doesn't see new articles when offline. I.e. I start up Gnus, see all
> groups on native server caught up (no new articles) (on other NNTP
> servers I do see other articles, so do I get mail via nnmail).  When
> after some time I hit `g', Gnus gets new articles -- but only those
> that were sent after Gnus was started.  I can use groups normally
> while Gnus is on; then I quit Emacs and when I start Gnus again,
> there are no unread articles on all native groups (even if I left
> some unread ones when quitting Gnus -- those are caught-up too).

I've had similar problems lately, using a CVS snapshot from
2005.10.02.  I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything, saving
everything important from my homedir first, especially ~/News.  After
doing so, none of my gmane groups were showing new messages as unread,
though I could still browse them.

Adding (nntp-marks-is-evil t) to the options for gnus-select-method
seems to make things work.  I had tried moving my ~/News/marks folder
somewhere else, but this caused Gnus to throw the following error when
starting up.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
  time-less-p((17205 37218) nil)
  nntp-marks-changed-p("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" "localhost")
  nntp-request-update-info("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" ("gmane.emacs.xtla.devel" 3 ((1 . 31)) ((seen ...))) "localhost")
  gnus-get-unread-articles(nil)
  gnus-setup-news(nil nil nil)
  byte-code("[snip]")
  gnus-1(nil nil nil)
  gnus(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: anime, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: No Gnus don't get new articles after server change.
@ 2005-10-03 18:03 ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2005-10-03 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-10-03 23:52   ` Maciek Pasternacki
From: Maciek Pasternacki @ 2005-10-03 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sweetmorn, Bureaucracy 57, 3171 YOLD, Michael Olson wrote:

> Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> writes:
>
> I've had similar problems lately, using a CVS snapshot from
> 2005.10.02.  I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything, saving
> everything important from my homedir first, especially ~/News.  After
> doing so, none of my gmane groups were showing new messages as unread,
> though I could still browse them.
>
> Adding (nntp-marks-is-evil t) to the options for gnus-select-method
> seems to make things work.  I had tried moving my ~/News/marks folder
> somewhere else, but this caused Gnus to throw the following error when
> starting up.

Thanks, it helped -- I didn't think of moving marks away.  After
investigating contents of .marks files I managed to clear them all:

 $ echo '((read))' > foo ; find ~/News/marks/news.task.gda.pl -name .marks -exec dd if=foo of={} \; -print

(news.task.gda.pl is name of my server).

Shouldn't gnus-group-clear-data clear marks files too?

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp@japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { The question is: what is a Mahnamahna?

* Marks files and gnus-group-clear-data (was: No Gnus don't get new articles after server change.)
@ 2005-10-09 22:00     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-09 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 04 2005, Maciek Pasternacki wrote:

> Thanks, it helped -- I didn't think of moving marks away.  After
> investigating contents of .marks files I managed to clear them all:
>
>  $ echo '((read))' > foo ; find ~/News/marks/news.task.gda.pl \
>    -name .marks -exec dd if=foo of={} \; -print
>
> (news.task.gda.pl is name of my server).
>
> Shouldn't gnus-group-clear-data clear marks files too?

It should.  And it does it in my tests:

$ cat News/marks/localhost/de/comp/advocacy/.marks
((tick 310) (read (1 . 310)))

`M-x gnus-group-clear-data-on-native-groups RET' in fact calls
`nntp-request-set-mark'...

$ cat News/marks/localhost/de/comp/advocacy/.marks
nil

Note that you must *not* set `nntp-marks-is-evil' to t when clearing
the data.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,