* fetchmail or pop3 mail source?
@ 2005-05-08 17:29 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2005-05-08 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

After many years of nnimap, I'm in the process of adding a POP3 mail
source with nnml mail folders.

Does anyone have any good reasons to use either fetchmail with
delivery into the local mail spool file (this is a linux laptop), or a
Gnus pop3 source?

Thanx!

- Steinar

* Re: fetchmail or pop3 mail source?
@ 2005-05-11 21:56 ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2005-05-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> After many years of nnimap, I'm in the process of adding a POP3 mail source
> with nnml mail folders.
>
> Does anyone have any good reasons to use either fetchmail with delivery into
> the local mail spool file (this is a linux laptop), or a Gnus pop3 source?

I use fetchmail because it means my Gnus/emacs session is not tied up while
mail is being fetched for as long. It only takes a second to fetch it from the
local mail spool file, but it can take some time to get it from a remote POP3
source. Particularly since I often fetch mail over GPRS, which can get a bit
slow.

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net