I have Gnus 5.8.8 so forgive me if this is improved in newer versions. Attaching a file with an unknown character set produces a less than helpful warning. To repeat, create an empty file, and populate it by evaluating the following Lisp snippet with M-: (let ((i 0)) (while (< i 256) (insert (char-to-string i)) (setq i (1+ i)))) Save the file. Then start composing a new message, and attach the file you created with C-c C-a. I get an MMF spec which looks like this ("disarmed"). [#part charset="utf-8" type="text/plain" filename="/tmp/8bit.txt" disposition=attachment description="Test file for unknown character set"] [#/part] I have experimentally added the charset= field, but it didn't help (also tried "unknown", "utf8", and "iso-8859-1"), and indented and wrapped lines to make it more readable. Attempting to send this message gives the dreaded warning: 8-bit characters are found in the message, please specify charset. Adding a charset= header to the MMF info does not appear to help, as indicated above. MMF preview (M-m P) gives the same warning, in case you want to try without actually sending any message. The warning message contains no hints on how to proceed and I cannot find information about how to specify a character set, or even anything general about how to handle this error. (I believe I have stumbled over it in other situations in the past, when a quoted message I was replying to somehow ended up not having a valid character set. Maybe I don't remember this correctly, though.) A workaround in some cases is to visit the file in a buffer with the correct coding system selected, and attach the buffer with M-m b instead. /* era */ Gnus v5.8.8 GNU Emacs 20.7.2 (i386-debian-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of Fri Apr 5 2002 on cyberhq modified by Debian 200 main.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).