A while ago on the list various people including myself encountered a problem where Gnus would mis-detect the character set of various messages. Anything forwarded as a message/rfc822 attachment or inline seems to trigger this, as do various messages at random. The problem is that the article is decoded as some far east character set, presenting as a mixed collection of ideograms[1] and '?' characters. Some but not all of the articles seemed to have broken[2] charset specification, such as 'charset=us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf8' Others, though, had no MIME detail at all or they had a correct charset specification. I can't remember what the solution at the time was, though I believe a code change was involved. Maybe Simon Josefsson did it? My memories are hazy as it was over three months ago. Anyway, I tried searching the list archives and my local one but didn't find the details I was looking for. I am running "21.5 (beta3) \"asparagus\" XEmacs Lucid" on Linux inanna 2.4.15-pre5 #1 Sat Nov 17 01:38:23 EST 2001 i686 unknown I can forward a selection of the mis-displayed messages in addition to the attached one if you wish.