* Postfix or Gnus problem in to: header?
@ 1999-11-09  5:28 David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-09  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I had a bounced message when trying to reply to a message with the
following headers;

Gcc: nnfolder:outgoing
To: "Wang, John" <wang@airinter.com.au>
Subject: Re: How can I register My Star office 5.1
From: David Maslen <david.maslen@iname.com>
Date: 09 Nov 1999 16:22:17 +1100
--text follows this line--

Postfix tried to expand the "Wang, John" to Wang@$mydomain. Since
there is no user wang at my domain it bounced. I notice Kai used ()
instead of <> around his email address. This also causes me to get a
bounced message if I just hit reply.

So should the mail client feed the mail server a message with the to:
header in the correct format? Is there a correct format (bet there
is), and assuming the problem originates with "Wang, John", where
should the compromise come from so that the system works. Gnus or
Postfix. I think we can assume it's impractical to have all end users
do the right thing.