* Using gnus-asynchronous for specific servers only
@ 1999-09-03  8:26 Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-09-03  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just tried the freshmeat thing (along with Shenghuo's patch --
thanks, Shenghuo!), and I like it.  However, my connection to
news.freshmeat.net is not all that fast, and I decided that article
prefetching would be exactly the right thing for me when reading that
group.

So, how do I tell Gnus to prefetch articles only in a single group, or
only on a specific server?

* Re: Using gnus-asynchronous for specific servers only
@ 1999-09-03 11:12 ` Rene H. Larsen
From: Rene H. Larsen @ 1999-09-03 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> So, how do I tell Gnus to prefetch articles only in a single group,
> or only on a specific server?

Can't you add (gnus-asynchronous t) to the group properties, i.e. set
it as a group-local variable?  This at least works for turning /off/
prefetching for a particular group.

HTH.
--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
for$a(0..12){$b[$a]="|"." "x78}for$a(0..78){substr($b[-(sin($a*3.1415/

* Re: Using gnus-asynchronous for specific servers only
@ 1999-09-03 12:30   ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-09-03 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rene H. Larsen" <renehl@post1.tele.dk> writes:

> Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:
>
> > So, how do I tell Gnus to prefetch articles only in a single group,
> > or only on a specific server?
>
> Can't you add (gnus-asynchronous t) to the group properties, i.e. set
> it as a group-local variable?

Nope.  Tried it, didn't work.

Bug?

* Re: Using gnus-asynchronous for specific servers only
@ 1999-09-25  8:14 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-09-25  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic <hniksic@srce.hr> writes:

> I've just tried the freshmeat thing (along with Shenghuo's patch --
> thanks, Shenghuo!), and I like it.  However, my connection to
> news.freshmeat.net is not all that fast, and I decided that article
> prefetching would be exactly the right thing for me when reading that
> group.
>
> So, how do I tell Gnus to prefetch articles only in a single group, or
> only on a specific server?

So you have `gnus-asynchronous' set globally to nil, but have
`(gnus-asynchronous t)' in the group params, and that doesn't work?

Let's see...  Yes, it looks like that variable is being checked while
in the article buffer, which means that the group param setting
doesn't work.  I thought we decided a while ago to copy all local
variables from the summary buffer to the article buffer?  Did I forget
to write that code?

No, there's a call to `gnus-summary-set-local-parameters' from the
article buffer setup code, so that should actually work, I think.
Hm.