* How to save a group of postings by process marking and then [...]
@ 2021-12-22 23:34 hput
From: hput @ 2021-12-22 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've only ever done this within threads .. often the whole thread is
process marked.. not sure if it would work if the selection was arbitrary
across multiple threads but a quick test while writing this mesg seems
to indicate it does work.

I suspect there are cleaner and less cumbersome methods than what I'm
about to describe... I'd like to hear about them.

  [ When I want to save a group of messages by process mark:
  Its because I want to enlarge my growing database of well informed
  answers and opions on a wide range of material, where I can find it
  pretty easily ]

1) Process mark the selected messages.

2) Then Press upcase `F' as if to follow up.
   You are then presented with a message that contains all process
   marked  messages. Much like an mbox, but missing the vast amount of
   headers, having only the key ones for each mesg

3) Write in a Gcc: (` YourChosenBackend:Group ') for where you want the
   conglomerate message saved
4) Edit subject line with keywords to help you find this message

* I normally make at least 3 more edits but no need to describe all.
  Just one here ... change the Newsgroup: to X-Newsgroup: (or your
  choice, long as the result is to render your conglomerate message
  unsendable

5) Press `C-c C-c' as if to send...  When gnus notices the msg is not
   sendable, it will tell you and ask if you'd still like to honor the
   Gcc: `your-chosen-bkend:group' ... (whether it exists or not)
   When you press `y' off it goes to your chosen group on disk.

You have created an entry to a data base searchable in summary mode by
using the `/s' (Subject search) on the keywords you've added or of
course on any other Headers you've edited.

I kind of fell into using the above method by accident and then seeing
some uses for my accident.

One drawback of using the method is the extra layer of `>' (quoting?
characters) that can be a little confusing I'd rather accomplish this
kind of data base in some simpler and cleaner way.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-12-22 23:35 UTC | newest]