From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Retreiv pop3 and sort with procmail
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 20:23:56 -0500	[thread overview]

I had a big accident brought on by deep seated stupidity.  Lost my
whole OS and years of mail/news

So starting over and find my usage of fetchmail for pop3 retreival no
longer works.  So turned to gnus for that chore... find it works fine
but I don't see a way to run the mail thru procmail (what I've done in
the past using fetchmail).

I don't really want to learn all about fancy splitting unless I really
have to. I have a procmail setup developed over 20 yrs use that would
probably take a good while to duplicate or come close with `fancy
splitting', assuming I could evenn learn how to use it.  So asking
first if there is some slick way to push mail thru procmail with gnus?

And in case someone has the time or interest in helping, I am
including the fetchmail error at the end in case any of you are
fetchmail users and may recognize the problem.

-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

fetchmail -vvv

fetchmail: 6.4.8 querying pop.newsguy.com (protocol POP3) at Sun 10 Jan 2021 07:11:34 PM EST: poll started
Trying to connect to 74.209.136.72/110...connected.
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Qpopper (version 4.0.14) at jorel.newsguy.com starting.
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 0
fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
fetchmail: POP3< AUTH-RESP-CODE
fetchmail: POP3< X-MANGLE
fetchmail: POP3< X-MACRO
fetchmail: POP3< X-LOCALTIME Sun, 10 Jan 2021 16:11:34 -0800
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Qpopper-version-4.0.14
fetchmail: POP3< .

********
fetchmail: POP3> STLS
fetchmail: fetchmail: POP3< -ERR Command not enabled
Command not enabled
fetchmail: pop.newsguy.com: upgrade to TLS failed.
********

fetchmail: Unknown login or authentication error on reader@pop.newsguy.com
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from reader@pop.newsguy.com
fetchmail: 6.4.8 querying pop.newsguy.com (protocol POP3) at Sun 10 Jan 2021 07:11:34 PM EST: poll completed
Merged UID list from pop.newsguy.com:
 <empty>
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status
-------       -------       ---=---       -------       -------

Looks like fetchmail asked for STLS ... And pop.newsguy.com  wasn't
having it?

~/.fetchmailrc

poll pop.newsguy.com  proto POP3 user reader    password SECRET

no rewrite
mda "/usr/bin/procmail -f %F -d %T";

`Password' is actually in plain text and just munged for posting.

PS: This same .fetchmailrc file has worked for years against the same
pop server used on the Debian OS I trashed and inadvertently deleted.

Now tryin it on new install of ubuntu-20.10 and throwing the error shown