* Moving the Incoming* safety files to a separate directory
@ 2020-02-26 20:34 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-02-26 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Is there a way to tell Gnus to keep those files in a separate
directory?

I want it to exclude it from backups because the backup software is
very inefficient when it comes to expiring previously backed up
deleted files.  The software only supports directory-based exclusions
well.

* Re: Moving the Incoming* safety files to a separate directory
@ 2020-02-26 20:50 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2020-02-26 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Florian writes:

> Is there a way to tell Gnus to keep those files in a separate
> directory?

I think this is the variable to change:

,----[ C-h v mail-source-directory RET ]
| mail-source-directory is a variable defined in ‘mail-source.el’.
| Its value is "/home/asjo/Mail/incoming"
| Original value was "~/Mail/"
|
|   You can customize this variable.
|
| Documentation:
| Directory where incoming mail source files (if any) will be stored.
`----

You might also consider looking at this one:

,----[ C-h v mail-source-delete-incoming RET ]
| mail-source-delete-incoming is a variable defined in ‘mail-source.el’.
| Its value is 10
|
|   You can customize this variable.
|

| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 22.2 of Emacs.
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, delete incoming files after handling.
| If t, delete immediately, if nil, never delete.  If a positive number, delete
| files older than number of days.
|
| Removing of old files happens in ‘mail-source-callback’, i.e. no
| old incoming files will be deleted unless you receive new mail.
| You may also set this variable to nil and call
| ‘mail-source-delete-old-incoming’ interactively.
`----

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "It's the Disneyland-law                                   Adam Sjøgren
  So far out it makes anarchy a bore"                  asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Moving the Incoming* safety files to a separate directory
@ 2020-02-26 21:22   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-02-26 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

* Adam Sjøgren:

> Florian writes:
>
>> Is there a way to tell Gnus to keep those files in a separate
>> directory?
>
> I think this is the variable to change:
>
> ,----[ C-h v mail-source-directory RET ]
> | mail-source-directory is a variable defined in ‘mail-source.el’.
> | Its value is "/home/asjo/Mail/incoming"
> | Original value was "~/Mail/"
> |
> |   You can customize this variable.
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Directory where incoming mail source files (if any) will be stored.
> `----

Ahh!  mail-source-directory can be set separately from
message-directory.  This looks promising.  I will give it a try.
Thanks.