* How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-06 22:37 Dave Abrahams
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-01-06 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

When viewing an article such as this one in Gnus
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/2367>,
I really want to see the plain text version of the article by default,
but it very consistently comes through looking like this:

  1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html

  <Body of message>

I have all the following customizations:

 '(gnus-buttonized-mime-types
   (quote
    ("multipart/alternative")))
 '(mm-discouraged-alternatives
   (quote
    ("text/html" "text/richtext" "image/.*")))
 '(mm-inline-large-images
   (quote resize))
 '(mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)

What am I missing?

TIA,
Dave

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-06 22:59 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-06 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Dave writes:

> When viewing an article such as this one in Gnus
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/2367>,
> I really want to see the plain text version of the article by default,
> but it very consistently comes through looking like this:
>
>   1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html

I have this:

  ;; Don't display html inline
  (setq
   mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
   mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "The speed at which I write by hand is almost                Adam Sjøgren
  perfectly synchronized with the speed at which I       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-06 23:04 ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2016-01-06 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:

> When viewing an article such as this one in Gnus
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/2367>,
> I really want to see the plain text version of the article by default,
> but it very consistently comes through looking like this:
>
>   1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html
>
>   <Body of message>
>
> I have all the following customizations:
>
>  '(gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>    (quote
>     ("multipart/alternative")))
>  '(mm-discouraged-alternatives
>    (quote
>     ("text/html" "text/richtext" "image/.*")))
>  '(mm-inline-large-images
>    (quote resize))
>  '(mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
>
> What am I missing?

I believe mm-discouraged-alternatives only affects the selection of
which part to render when *not* buttonizing.  So you should drop the
gnus-buttonized-mime-types customization.

Bjørn

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-07  9:51   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-01-07  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> Dave writes:
>
>> When viewing an article such as this one in Gnus
>> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/2367>,
>> I really want to see the plain text version of the article by default,
>> but it very consistently comes through looking like this:
>>
>>   1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html
>
> I have this:
>
>   ;; Don't display html inline
>   (setq
>    mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext" "text/enriched")
>    mm-automatic-display (remove "text/html" mm-automatic-display))

I also have
(setq mm-inline-override-types '("application/octet-stream" "text/html"))

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-08  7:18   ` Dave Abrahams
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-01-08  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Wed Jan 06 2016, Bjørn Mork <bjorn-AT-mork.no> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>
>> When viewing an article such as this one in Gnus
>> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/2367>,
>> I really want to see the plain text version of the article by default,
>> but it very consistently comes through looking like this:
>>
>>   1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html
>>
>>   <Body of message>
>>
>> I have all the following customizations:
>>
>>  '(gnus-buttonized-mime-types
>>    (quote
>>     ("multipart/alternative")))
>>  '(mm-discouraged-alternatives
>>    (quote
>>     ("text/html" "text/richtext" "image/.*")))
>>  '(mm-inline-large-images
>>    (quote resize))
>>  '(mm-inline-text-html-with-images t)
>>
>> What am I missing?
>
> I believe mm-discouraged-alternatives only affects the selection of
> which part to render when *not* buttonizing.  So you should drop the
> gnus-buttonized-mime-types customization.

But sometimes I want to look at the HTML version, and the buttons are a
convenient way to switch back and forth that doesn't require remembering
an obscure key combination or rarely-used command. Can't I have it all?

@ 2016-01-08 12:00 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2016-01-08 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams [2016-01-06 22:37:39Z] wrote:

> When viewing an article such as this one in Gnus
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.swift.evolution/2367>, I
> really want to see the plain text version of the article by default,

I think just this will do what you want:

    mm-discouraged-alternatives '("text/html" "text/richtext")

Leave other related variables to their default values although this is
nice too:

    gnus-unbuttonized-mime-types '("text/plain")

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://github.com/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-08 12:19     ` Bjorn Solberg
From: Bjorn Solberg @ 2016-01-08 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams writes:

[...]

> But sometimes I want to look at the HTML version, and the buttons are a
> convenient way to switch back and forth that doesn't require remembering
> an obscure key combination or rarely-used command. Can't I have it all?

I have this at the end of my .gnus:

;; Display the text part, not the HTML part, by default:
(eval-after-load "mm-decode"
 '(progn
      (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/html")
      (add-to-list 'mm-discouraged-alternatives "text/richtext")))

... which makes the text/plain version be displayed by default, as this:

1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html

Can't recall where I picked this up from, though.

Bjorn

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-09  7:32     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2016-01-09  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> But sometimes I want to look at the HTML version, and the buttons are
> a convenient way to switch back and forth that doesn't require
> remembering an obscure key combination or rarely-used command. Can't I
> have it all?

I use `C-d' to display the MIME tree, and then explicitly select the
HTML part.

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-09  9:51       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2016-01-09  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> But sometimes I want to look at the HTML version, and the buttons are
>> a convenient way to switch back and forth that doesn't require
>> remembering an obscure key combination or rarely-used command. Can't I
>> have it all?
>
> I use `C-d' to display the MIME tree, and then explicitly select the
> HTML part.

You can also use 'b' to toogle through the alternatives.

Andreas.

--

@ 2016-01-09 13:28     ` Bjørn Mork
From: Bjørn Mork @ 2016-01-09 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Abrahams; +Cc: ding

Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
> on Wed Jan 06 2016, Bjørn Mork <bjorn-AT-mork.no> wrote:
>
>> I believe mm-discouraged-alternatives only affects the selection of
>> which part to render when *not* buttonizing.  So you should drop the
>> gnus-buttonized-mime-types customization.
>
> But sometimes I want to look at the HTML version, and the buttons are a
> convenient way to switch back and forth that doesn't require remembering
> an obscure key combination or rarely-used command. Can't I have it all?

Yes, I sometimes want that as well.  You need to remember a single
obscure key combination: "K b" will reenable the buttons for the article
you are viewing.

Ctrl + d is nice as well.  But I often want one of the actions from the
button context menu.  E.g view the html part in an external browser.  So
I use "K b" to be able to right click on the text/html button.

Bjørn

* Re: How to get multipart/alternative button to show plain text by default?
@ 2016-01-18  0:30       ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2016-01-18  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Sat Jan 09 2016, Bjørn Mork <bjorn-AT-mork.no> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> writes:
>> on Wed Jan 06 2016, Bjørn Mork <bjorn-AT-mork.no> wrote:
>>
>>> I believe mm-discouraged-alternatives only affects the selection of
>>> which part to render when *not* buttonizing.  So you should drop the
>>> gnus-buttonized-mime-types customization.
>>
>> But sometimes I want to look at the HTML version, and the buttons are a
>> convenient way to switch back and forth that doesn't require remembering
>> an obscure key combination or rarely-used command. Can't I have it all?
>
> Yes, I sometimes want that as well.  You need to remember a single
> obscure key combination: "K b" will reenable the buttons for the article
> you are viewing.
>
> Ctrl + d is nice as well.  But I often want one of the actions from the
> button context menu.  E.g view the html part in an external browser.  So
> I use "K b" to be able to right click on the text/html button.

Thanks!  I knew that once...

It turns out that `W h' is a much more effective way for me to see the
HTML in most cases, but it's great to have a bag of tricks.

-Dave