* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-18 18:31 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-12-18 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Harry writes:

> Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
> emacs-w3m?

The default has been shr the last couple (?) of years:

,----[ C-h v mm-text-html-renderer RET ]
| mm-text-html-renderer is a variable defined in `mm-decode.el'.
| Its value is shr
|
| Documentation:
| Render of HTML contents.
| It is one of defined renderer types, or a rendering function.
| The defined renderer types are:
| `shr': use the built-in Gnus HTML renderer;
| `gnus-w3m': use Gnus renderer based on w3m;
| `w3m': use emacs-w3m;
| `w3m-standalone': use plain w3m;
| `links': use links;
| `lynx': use lynx;
| `html2text': use html2text;
| nil    : use external viewer (default web browser).
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 24.1 of Emacs.
`----

shr is available as a stand-alone browser using M-x eww

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Subdued flamboyance"                                        Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-18 21:22 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-12-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
emacs-w3m?

Near as I can tell, the last release was 10 yrs ago.

Even w3m itself dates back to 2011.

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-18 22:07 ` Filipp Gunbin
From: Filipp Gunbin @ 2014-12-18 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

On 18/12/2014 16:22 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
> emacs-w3m?
>
> Near as I can tell, the last release was 10 yrs ago.
>
> Even w3m itself dates back to 2011.

You can check out and install emacs-w3m from cvs, see [1].  It is
well-maintained.  And it's great! :)

[1] http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/#download

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-19  2:11   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-12-19  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Filipp Gunbin <fgunbin@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On 18/12/2014 16:22 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> Is there a more recent or better way to render html messages than
>> emacs-w3m?
>>
>> Near as I can tell, the last release was 10 yrs ago.
>>
>> Even w3m itself dates back to 2011.
>
> You can check out and install emacs-w3m from cvs, see [1].  It is
> well-maintained.  And it's great! :)

Not sure what you mean by `well maintainted'.. The page you cite
appears to say the most recent version was released in 2005.  No new
versions since then.

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-19  3:10   ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2014-12-19  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam> The default has been shr the last couple (?) of years:

I'll second this.

I recently switched from emacs-w3m to shr and I've found it a much
better renderer.

Malcolm

--
	       Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au>

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-19 17:22     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-12-19 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au> writes:

> Adam> The default has been shr the last couple (?) of years:
>
> I'll second this.
>
> I recently switched from emacs-w3m to shr and I've found it a much
> better renderer.

Good to hear.   Did it require any special lisp in gnus.el?

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-20  9:06       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-12-20  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Good to hear.   Did it require any special lisp in gnus.el?

Don't know, but it does require libxml2.so (libxml2.dll on Windows) to
be linked into Gnus at runtime.

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2014-12-21 11:28       ` Malcolm Purvis
From: Malcolm Purvis @ 2014-12-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Harry> Malcolm Purvis <malcolm@purvis.id.au> writes:

>> I recently switched from emacs-w3m to shr and I've found it a much
>> better renderer.

Harry> Good to hear.  Did it require any special lisp in gnus.el?

No. Since it's the default all I had to do was remove the line which set
mm-text-html-renderer to 'w3m.

Malcolm

--
		     Malcolm Purvis <malcolmp@xemacs.org>

* Re: anything newer than emacs-w3m for rendering html
@ 2015-01-26  3:40     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2015-01-26  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

> Not sure what you mean by `well maintainted'.. The page you cite
> appears to say the most recent version was released in 2005.  No new
> versions since then.

emacs-w3m no longer does "releases", but it's actively maintained.  You
just have to pull it down via CVS.