* Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2013-11-22 14:02 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-11-22 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

Recently I've gotten error messages like this, when trying to enter gmane
groups with more than a few unread articles:
 Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
 gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated. [2 times]
 apply: Server closed connection

I can sometimes enter the group a few more articles at a time, ie. when
positioned over the group in the Group buffer:
 C-u 10 RET
 C-u 20 RET
 etc.

Presumably it then caches the NOV data locally and only asks for a few
more articles, and then it manages to complete before the connection is
closed...? But this is just a guess.

I don't know if this is a Gnus issue or if it is a Gmane issue. I'm
using git gnus (on windows 7 and emacs 24) last updated on august 30,
and I will try updating Gnus (but I won't do the update until after the
weekend).

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2013-12-14 17:04 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-12-14 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> Recently I've gotten error messages like this, when trying to enter gmane
> groups with more than a few unread articles:
>  Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
>  gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was
> non-properly terminated. [2 times]
>  apply: Server closed connection

Hm.  Are you still seeing this?  It seems to work as normal for me...

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2013-12-14 22:25   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-12-14 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

> Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:
>> Recently I've gotten error messages like this, when trying to enter gmane
>> groups with more than a few unread articles:
>> Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
>> gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was
>> non-properly terminated. [2 times]
>> apply: Server closed connection

> Hm.  Are you still seeing this?  It seems to work as normal for me...

Only on a windows laptop.  The Gnus running on debian has no such problem.

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-12-15  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>>> Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
>>> gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was
>>> non-properly terminated. [2 times]
>>> apply: Server closed connection
>
>> Hm.  Are you still seeing this?  It seems to work as normal for me...
>
> Only on a windows laptop.  The Gnus running on debian has no such problem.

Hm.  Could it be a problem with GnuTLS support in Windows Emacs?

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2013-12-15  9:27       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2013-12-15  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

>> Only on a windows laptop.  The Gnus running on debian has no such problem.

> Hm.  Could it be a problem with GnuTLS support in Windows Emacs?

Could be.
GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
git pull from November 25.

Here's another error message I got today:
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
gnutls.el: (err=[-110] The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.) boot: (:priority NORMAL :hostname news.gwene.org :loglevel 0 :min-prime-bits 256 :trustfiles nil :crlfiles nil :keylist nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :verify-hostname-error nil :callbacks nil)
funcall: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2013-12-16 15:21         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2013-12-16 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:27:14 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>>> Only on a windows laptop.  The Gnus running on debian has no such problem.

>> Hm.  Could it be a problem with GnuTLS support in Windows Emacs?

SB> Could be.
SB> GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
SB> git pull from November 25.

SB> Here's another error message I got today:
SB> gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.
SB> gnutls.el: (err=[-110] The TLS connection was non-properly
SB> terminated.) boot: (:priority NORMAL :hostname news.gwene.org
SB> :loglevel 0 :min-prime-bits 256 :trustfiles nil :crlfiles nil :keylist
SB> nil :verify-flags nil :verify-error nil :verify-hostname-error nil
SB> :callbacks nil)
SB> funcall: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

I don't run on W32 so I can't confirm this, but please check that the
installed GnuTLS version is the latest before anything else.

If it still fails, open an Emacs bug or hop onto an existing one.

There were some gnutls.c changes recently by Paul Eggert that could have
caused this.  My changes for certificate validation are less likely to
affect only Windows, but still possible.  Ideally you could do some kind
of test bisection and tell us which commit broke your setup.

Ted

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2014-02-14 15:09           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-02-14 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

> I don't run on W32 so I can't confirm this, but please check that the
> installed GnuTLS version is the latest before anything else.

Now I've seen this on a Win8 Asus X301A laptop, that so far have eluded
being linux-ified (it starts booting the PXE install, then just stops
and skips out and continues with Win8 boot, but that's another
story...).

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.2.9200) of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
gnutls-3.0.9-w32-bin.zip (from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/)

What happened here was quite strange.  When I tried entering
gmane.discuss on news.gmane.org, It failed, and I got the following
messages in the minibuffer:
Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done
gnutls.c: [0] (Emacs) fatal error: The TLS connection was non-properly terminated. [2 times]
apply: Server closed connection

Then I did
 (setq gnutls-log-level 1)
in the scratch buffer, and tried entering gmane.discuss, and this time
it worked.

So I don't know how reproducible this is.  Here are the Messages buffer
content resulting from entering gmane.discuss:
Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) allocating credentials
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls callbacks
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) gnutls_init
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) got non-default priority string: NORMAL
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) setting the priority string
news.gmane.org certificate could not be verified.
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate signer was not found: news.gmane.org
gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) certificate validation failed: news.gmane.org
Opening nntp server on news.gmane.org...done

Seems like this wasn't the culprit at all?  Just a warning?

> If it still fails, open an Emacs bug or hop onto an existing one.

> There were some gnutls.c changes recently by Paul Eggert that could
> have caused this.  My changes for certificate validation are less
> likely to affect only Windows, but still possible.  Ideally you could
> do some kind of test bisection and tell us which commit broke your
> setup.

If I can get something really reproducible, I will try a bisect.

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2014-02-16 15:36             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-02-16 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

>> I don't run on W32 so I can't confirm this, but please check that the
>> installed GnuTLS version is the latest before anything else.

> Then I did
>  (setq gnutls-log-level 1)
> in the scratch buffer, and tried entering gmane.discuss, and this time
> it worked.

Today I did (setq gnutls-log-level 1) and it still wouldn't enter any
groups.  See error messages below.

I would like one of the following solutions:
 1. The possibility to switch off the attempted upgrade to STARTTLS for
    NNTP connections
 2. The possibility to tell GNU-TLS not to be so stringent about
    certificate verification
 3. A news.gmane.org cerficate signed with a CA that is acceptable to
    GNU-TLS, instead of the self-signed certificate it has today

(Since this sometimes works in spite of the drastic error messages, I'm
still not sure this is the reason I can't enter the group, but these are
the only error messages I've got, so...)

@ 2014-02-17 14:47               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2014-02-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 16:36:56 +0100 Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> wrote:

>>> I don't run on W32 so I can't confirm this, but please check that the
>>> installed GnuTLS version is the latest before anything else.

>> Then I did
>> (setq gnutls-log-level 1)
>> in the scratch buffer, and tried entering gmane.discuss, and this time
>> it worked.

SB> Today I did (setq gnutls-log-level 1) and it still wouldn't enter any
SB> groups.  See error messages below.

SB> I would like one of the following solutions:
SB>  1. The possibility to switch off the attempted upgrade to STARTTLS for
SB>     NNTP connections
SB>  2. The possibility to tell GNU-TLS not to be so stringent about
SB>     certificate verification
SB>  3. A news.gmane.org cerficate signed with a CA that is acceptable to
SB>     GNU-TLS, instead of the self-signed certificate it has today

Could we move this discussion to the Emacs bugs?  `M-x report-emacs-bug' please.

Add the log messages you got.  I think (1) is possible; (2) is possible
to a degree and planned more fully after the code freeze; and (3) is not
my call.

Thanks!
Ted

* Re: Problems entering gmane groups with git gnus
@ 2014-02-17 17:55                 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-02-17 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gmane-discuss; +Cc: ding

Done! http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=16784

> Add the log messages you got.

Just took one cycle of the repeated messages (they repeat on each group
entering attempt).