* removing the 'A' mark (automatically)?
@ 2012-09-08 20:44 lee
From: lee @ 2012-09-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

stupid question, how do I remove an 'A' mark from an article?

Scenario: Write an answer to an article (in a group with mails from a
mailing list). Since all outgoing mail is queued before sending, I
happen to look into the queue folder and decide not to send the
reply. So I delete the reply and it occurs to me that the article is
probably still marked as answered. Looking at the article the reply to
which I deleted, I find it still marked with an 'A'. Now I try to remove
the 'A' mark ... and there's no mentioning about how to remove that mark
in the info doc (section: 3.7.4 Setting Marks).

Not so stupid question: Is it at all feasible to have gnus update the
mark and remove the 'A' in such a case automatically?

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

* Re: removing the 'A' mark (automatically)?
@ 2012-09-09  8:55 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2012-09-09  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, Sep 08 2012, lee wrote:

> So I delete the reply and it occurs to me that the article is
> probably still marked as answered. Looking at the article the reply
> to which I deleted, I find it still marked with an 'A'. Now I try to
> remove the 'A' mark ...

There's no such functionality in Gnus, AFAIK.  You can do it manually:
`G E' runs the command `gnus-group-edit-group', search for "(reply
...)" and remove the relevant article number, then hit `C-c C-c'.  The
article number is displayed in the mode line of the Summary buffer (at
bottom of the buffer).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: removing the 'A' mark (automatically)?
@ 2012-09-09 12:37   ` lee
From: lee @ 2012-09-09 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, Sep 08 2012, lee wrote:
>
>> So I delete the reply and it occurs to me that the article is
>> probably still marked as answered. Looking at the article the reply
>> to which I deleted, I find it still marked with an 'A'. Now I try to
>> remove the 'A' mark ...
>
> There's no such functionality in Gnus, AFAIK.  You can do it manually:
> `G E' runs the command `gnus-group-edit-group', search for "(reply
> ...)" and remove the relevant article number, then hit `C-c C-c'.  The
> article number is displayed in the mode line of the Summary buffer (at
> bottom of the buffer).

Thanks, that would be a way.

Are we really supposed to edit article marker files manually? Isn't
there something to set any marks of an article at will? IIRC, mutt has a
feature like that. You would be asked which marks to set or to remove
and it would set or remove them.