* ssl/tls
@ 2012-06-10 15:26 Morten Leander Petersen
From: Morten Leander Petersen @ 2012-06-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I just upgraded to emacs 24.1 and ran into a problem. I use gnus to
access my gmail account but when I type g to check for new mails it uses
tls instead of ssl even though I have (nnimap-stream ssl) in my .gnus
file. Also it asks for my imap-username even though .gnus contains
(imap-username "mortenlp2"). In emacs 23.x everything worked just fine.

The relevant part of my .gnus file is this:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
             '(nnimap "gmail"
                      (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                      (imap-username "mortenlp2")
                      (nnimap-server-port 993)
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnir-search-engine imap)))

Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks in advance.

--
/Morten

* Re: ssl/tls
@ 2012-06-11  7:19 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-06-11  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Morten Leander Petersen; +Cc: ding

Morten Leander Petersen <mortenlp2@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Morten,

> I just upgraded to emacs 24.1 and ran into a problem. I use gnus to
> access my gmail account but when I type g to check for new mails it
> uses tls instead of ssl even though I have (nnimap-stream ssl) in my
> .gnus file.

Not sure about this one, but since TLS is essentially the successor of
SSL and Emacs 24.1 supports TLS natively, the latter might be preferred
if the server supports both.

> Also it asks for my imap-username even though .gnus contains
> (imap-username "mortenlp2"). In emacs 23.x everything worked just
> fine.

There's no `imap-username' anymore.  You could instead use
`nnimap-user', or store your credentials in ~/.authinfo (or better an
encrypted ~/.autinfo.gpg.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: ssl/tls
@ 2012-06-11 20:15   ` Morten Leander Petersen
From: Morten Leander Petersen @ 2012-06-11 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Morten Leander Petersen <mortenlp2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Morten,
>
>> I just upgraded to emacs 24.1 and ran into a problem. I use gnus to
>> access my gmail account but when I type g to check for new mails it
>> uses tls instead of ssl even though I have (nnimap-stream ssl) in my
>> .gnus file.
>
> Not sure about this one, but since TLS is essentially the successor of
> SSL and Emacs 24.1 supports TLS natively, the latter might be preferred
> if the server supports both.
>
>> Also it asks for my imap-username even though .gnus contains
>> (imap-username "mortenlp2"). In emacs 23.x everything worked just
>> fine.
>
> There's no `imap-username' anymore.  You could instead use
> `nnimap-user', or store your credentials in ~/.authinfo (or better an
> encrypted ~/.autinfo.gpg.
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Thanks. I will just use TSL.