* gmail+html mail, problems with the quotes, newline
@ 2011-02-04 15:36 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2011-02-04 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

This looks like a bizarre problem to me.
While thunderbird seamonkey etc seem to behave "normal"
using messages written with html gmail seems to be an
exception when it comes to quotes in replies.

Here is the scenario. I send a plain message to a gmail
account, the recipient has Richt formating (HTML I presume) on[1]
and hits the reply key, he then sees

| Hello how are you?

And he replies like this

| Hello how are you?
I am fine thank you.

However gnus receives and displays the message as
> Hello how are you?
> I am fine thank you.

Which of course is wrong since the quote  message and the
answer  are not distinguished.

Three observations:

    -  when the gmail user replies like
| Hello how are you?

I am fine thank you.

Then gnus displays this as
> Hello how are you?
I am fine thank you.

Which is ok!

    -  The gmail message which is not displayed correctly in
       gnus is correctly displayed in say thunderbird. So I
       am not sure who is to blame. Gmail html for not
       sending a newline or gnus for not displaying it
       correctly?

    -  when using thunderbird with html editing on, this
       newline problem does not occur!

Uwe Brauer

Footnotes:
[1]  the problem does not appear when plain text is activated.

* Re: gmail+html mail, problems with the quotes, newline
@ 2011-02-04 17:08 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-04 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> | Hello how are you?
> I am fine thank you.
>
> However gnus receives and displays the message as
>> Hello how are you?
>> I am fine thank you.

Please forward a message that displays this problem.