* The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31  0:09 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-31  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

All the files end with something like this:

;; arch-tag: 42ca7f88-a12f-461d-be3e-cac7efb44866

`C-x v g' says that the were added by Miles Bader in 2008, and I guess
it's for syncing with an arch repository?  Or something?

Are they still used now that Gnus is on git and Emacs on bzr?

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31  6:44 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-08-31  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Miles Bader

On Tue, Aug 31 2010, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> All the files end with something like this:
>
> ;; arch-tag: 42ca7f88-a12f-461d-be3e-cac7efb44866
>
> `C-x v g' says that the were added by Miles Bader in 2008, and I guess
> it's for syncing with an arch repository?  Or something?
>
> Are they still used now that Gnus is on git and Emacs on bzr?

[ CC-ing Miles ]

I don't know.  I'd suggest to keep the tags until they are erased from
all Emacs source files.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31  7:10   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2010-08-31  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reiner Steib, ding

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
>> Are they still used now that Gnus is on git and Emacs on bzr?
>
> I don't know.  I'd suggest to keep the tags until they are erased from
> all Emacs source files.

No real use afaik, but also no real point to actively removing them.

OTOH, there's also no real point to trying to be consistent about
them; I'd say: if you happen to be committing a file for some reason
and notice the arch tag, feel free to delete it, but don't go on one
of these touching-every-file-in-the-repository-for-mind-bendingly-minor-cosmetic-changes
binges.  There are already way too many of those these days...

-Miles

--
Cat is power.  Cat is peace.

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31 12:18     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-08-31 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> OTOH, there's also no real point to trying to be consistent about
> them; I'd say: if you happen to be committing a file for some reason
> and notice the arch tag, feel free to delete it, but don't go on one
> of these touching-every-file-in-the-repository-for-mind-bendingly-minor-cosmetic-changes
> binges.  There are already way too many of those these days...

While I agree on avoiding the above mentioned binges, I really hate it
when people have piggybacked changes like this to other changes.

It adds to the noise when looking at the diffs of a particular change.

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-31 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: Miles Bader, Reiner Steib

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

> While I agree on avoiding the above mentioned binges, I really hate it
> when people have piggybacked changes like this to other changes.
>
> It adds to the noise when looking at the diffs of a particular change.

Yes.  So I'd prefer just going on a binge.  I mean, it's not as if it
would stand out amongst the other churn in the Emacs repository.  :-)

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-31 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Yes.  So I'd prefer just going on a binge.  I mean, it's not as if it
> would stand out amongst the other churn in the Emacs repository.  :-)

What do the rest of you prefer?  Ted?  Reiner?  Katsumi?  People?

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31 16:25           ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-08-31 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On 2010-08-31 16:28 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Yes.  So I'd prefer just going on a binge.  I mean, it's not as if it
>> would stand out amongst the other churn in the Emacs repository.  :-)
>
> What do the rest of you prefer?  Ted?  Reiner?  Katsumi?  People?

I'd do it once and for all.

Leo

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31 18:19     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-31 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:10:11 +0900 Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

MB> don't go on one of these
MB> touching-every-file-in-the-repository-for-mind-bendingly-minor-cosmetic-changes
MB> binges.

You have to be careful of giving Lars ideas when he's on a programming spree ;)

Ted

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31 18:22           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:28:24 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>> Yes.  So I'd prefer just going on a binge.  I mean, it's not as if it
>> would stand out amongst the other churn in the Emacs repository.  :-)

LMI> What do the rest of you prefer?  Ted?  Reiner?  Katsumi?  People?

I'm in favor of a mass fix for the arch tags and for the whitespace
(btw, I'd love to make 'untabify&no-trailing-whitespace' the standard if
we can do it with local variables in every file or in a .project; I
don't know this area at all).

Ted

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31 18:30             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-08-31 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'm in favor of a mass fix for the arch tags and for the whitespace
> (btw, I'd love to make 'untabify&no-trailing-whitespace' the standard if
> we can do it with local variables in every file or in a .project; I
> don't know this area at all).

I'm not so sure about untabify, actually.  I think I'd go for a
max-tabify change instead.  :-)

But that's a religious issue.  no-trailing-whitespace is something that
everybody likes, I hope.

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-08-31 19:04               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-08-31 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:30:35 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I'm in favor of a mass fix for the arch tags and for the whitespace
>> (btw, I'd love to make 'untabify&no-trailing-whitespace' the standard if
>> we can do it with local variables in every file or in a .project; I
>> don't know this area at all).

LMI> I'm not so sure about untabify, actually.  I think I'd go for a
LMI> max-tabify change instead.  :-)

Whatever works, as long as we agree and can enforce it with
local/project variables.

Ted

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-09-01 16:41             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-01 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd do it once and for all.

I've now done this.

* Re: The arch tags in the files...
@ 2010-09-01 20:49       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2010-09-01 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> You have to be careful of giving Lars ideas when he's on a programming
> spree ;)

Drive by programming...