From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Bad cursor postion when dormat theads activate
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:19:25 -0500	[thread overview]

"Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> writes:

> If now you tick (U) the first article in the thread, exit the group and
> re-enter it, you'll see the point is in state (3): seems like the fact
> that the article is ticked causes gnus-summary-read-group to position
> the point at the end of its thread (after or before hiding all threads,
> i'm not sure), so that gnus-summary-show-thread does not have the
> desired effect.

I'm not sharp enough about this to help much but as OP, I thought I'd
add another screen shot.

This part of the problem is somewhat disconcerting and confusing.

I normally read news with a 2 buffer setup, split between summary
buffer and article buffer.

I run with `gnus-summary-hide-all-threads' on by default.

Opening a group in much the same way as you describe above.  There are
many ticked dormant messages in the thread and only 1 new one has arrived.

Opening the group it so happens a thread with ticked messages is first
with a new message. As you can barely see in the screen shot, point
has rushed to the end of the subject line (but not past the ellipsis
as you've mentioned).

Normally with a new message in a thread with dormant messages the
thread should open and show the new message subject line in summary
buffer.

But with the recent changes in gnus (now a few mnths ago I think),
the thread has not opened to show the new message as it should.

If I press `n', without moving point, (`n' to move to first new
message, my normal way of reading) the new message inside the ticked
thread is skipped completely, and point jumps to the next newest
message.

You would never know the new message was there at all.

If I press `enter', then the new message inside the ticked thread is
displayed in the article buffer, but is still hidden in summary.

(In the attached screenshot, I've opened the group, and pressed enter.
As you can see, the message is being displayed in article buffer, but
still hidden in summary.)

So unless I move point back to the left before doing anything else,
gnus will display behavior that is very bad for a newsreader, either
it skips the first new message and actually by-passes it (in the case
of pressing `n') or it opens the message in article buffer but still
not in summary buffer. So in the latter case you cannot see the
Summary buffer subject line of the acticle that is displayed in
`article' buffer at all.