From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: gmane-discuss@hawk.netfonds.no
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Searching gmane groups in Gnus?
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 18:00:05 +0100	[thread overview]

>> There is support for Gmane already.  Dunno if it still working and if
>> it fits your needs.

> It still works, but it doesn't quite fill my needs.  I would like it to
> automatically select gmane as the search engine, and add the group the
> cursor is standing on to the search.

Here is code bound to the (as far as I can tell) unused `G b' keys, that
will search the group under the cursor (bastardized from
gnus-group-make-web-group):

(defun gnus-group-make-gmane-search-group ()
  "Create an ephemeral nnweb group containing the results of a Gmane search."
  (interactive)
  (require 'nnweb)
  (let* ((group (message-unique-id))
	 (type "gmane")
         (gmane-group-name (car (cdr (split-string (gnus-group-group-name) ":"))))
	 (search
          (concat
           "group:" gmane-group-name " "
           (read-string
            "Search string: "
            (cons (or (car gnus-group-web-search-history) "") 0)
            'gnus-group-web-search-history)))
	 (method
	  `(nnweb ,group (nnweb-search ,search)
		  (nnweb-type ,(intern type))
		  (nnweb-ephemeral-p t))))
    (gnus-group-read-ephemeral-group
     group method t
     (cons (current-buffer)
           (if (eq major-mode 'gnus-summary-mode) 'summary 'group)))))

(defun gmane-search-group-mode-hook ()
  (define-key gnus-group-mode-map (kbd "G b")
    'gnus-group-make-gmane-search-group))
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'gmane-search-group-mode-hook)

> Hm... if `G G' could be bound to do this on the gmane groups, it
> wouldn't really matter to me that nnweb is used rather than nnir...?

Well, it matters in two respects:
 - No way of finding the thread the way the nnir results do
 - Can't to followup to the group