Daniel Pittman wrote: > Elias Oltmanns writes: > >> accessing a 25MB nnfolder takes at least twice as much time and >> sometimes even up to four times as much when running No Gnus from >> within emacs-snapshot (Debian packaged cvs version) than running in >> emacs 21.4. The reason I'm reporting this here is that visiting the >> file with C-x C-f directly from emacs does not reveal such a >> difference in speed. Yet, every operation performed by gnus on this >> nnfolder, as entering, reading articles, expiring, etc, challenges my >> patience, to say the least. > > Well, the best thing to do is probably to profile the operation of > visiting a folder, allowing us to see exactly where time is spent. Here are the profiles. I went about as follows: - Start up emacs2[12], - load elp.el, - M-x set-varialbe RET elp-sort-by-function RET elp-sort-by-average-time RET, - start up gnus, - M-x elp-instrument-package RET gnus RET, - enter folder, - M-x elp-results. Note that there are no delays due to disk access as all data had been in cache already. Hope that helps. Elias ---- Profile emacs 21.4.1 ----