* Use of NoCeM within Gnus
@ 2005-10-31 22:54 Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2005-10-31 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

NoCeM really does slow down Gnus. I'm mainly reading technically
oriented newsgroups. Is it worth the effort reducing spam? Are
there any people using this feature?

Thankful for any feedback

Patrick
--
New Year's Resolution: I will not sphroxify gullible people into
looking up fictitious words in the dictionary.

* Re: Use of NoCeM within Gnus
@ 2005-11-04 16:10 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2005-11-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On 31 Oct 2005, patrick@pdrechsler.de wrote:

> NoCeM really does slow down Gnus. I'm mainly reading technically
> oriented newsgroups. Is it worth the effort reducing spam? Are
> there any people using this feature?

I don't think NoCeM is worth enabling (I tried it years ago, though).

You can try spam.el, which can do statistical filtering (and others)
on any Gnus groups, including newsgroups.  It can mark unseen messages
as spam, and send a copy of the spam to a training group and/or to a
reporting backend.

Ted

* Re: Use of NoCeM within Gnus
@ 2005-11-05 19:39   ` Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2005-11-05 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov wrote on 04 Nov 2005 17:10:08 MET:

> On 31 Oct 2005, patrick@pdrechsler.de wrote:
>
>> NoCeM really does slow down Gnus. I'm mainly reading
>> technically oriented newsgroups. Is it worth the effort
>> reducing spam? Are there any people using this feature?
>
> I don't think NoCeM is worth enabling (I tried it years ago,
> though).

OK, thanks for the pointer!

> You can try spam.el, which can do statistical filtering (and
> others) on any Gnus groups, including newsgroups.  It can mark
> unseen messages as spam, and send a copy of the spam to a
> training group and/or to a reporting backend.

Sounds interesting. After looking through the documentation I
will have to postpone this approach until I have some spare
time though.

Cheers

Patrick
--
Linus: I'll throw the ball, see?
       Then you go bounding after it and bring it back!