* Re: Encoding buffer before sending does translate umlauts to question marks
       [not found] <87br1twm8y.fsf@ID-24456.user.uni-berlin.de>
@ 2005-10-13 16:38 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-13 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bugs, Ding List

On Thu, Oct 13 2005, Christoph Conrad wrote:

> No Gnus v0.4
> GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>  of 2005-10-02 on brabbelbox
> 200 news.online.de InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.5 ready (posting ok).
>
> Hello,
>
> i can't remember that i changed gnus configuration. Effect since one
> week is: Latin 1 mule encoded umlauts are encoded correctly in the
> outgoing mail, Latin 9 umlauts in the same mail are translated to '?'
> (question marks).
[...]
> The problem reveals on windows, which i use in the company. This bug
> report is written on GNU/Linux. The prefer-coding-system is iso-8859-1,
> the set-language-environment "Latin 9".

Thanks for you report.  The hint "one week" was very useful.  I have
installed a fix.  You you please try again after "cvs up"?

The introduction of `mm-charset-override-alist' was buggy.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Encoding buffer before sending does translate umlauts to question marks
@ 2005-10-13 17:57   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2005-10-13 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Christoph Conrad

Hello Reiner,

thank you for fast response!

> I have installed a fix. You you please try again after "cvs up"?

I will try it next week on monday, cause i am not in the company before
that day, and at home i don't use windows.

Best wishes - Freundliche Grüße,
  Christoph

* Re: Encoding buffer before sending does translate umlauts to question marks
@ 2005-10-13 20:26     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-10-13 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 13 2005, Christoph Conrad wrote:

>> I have installed a fix. You you please try again after "cvs up"?
>
> I will try it next week on monday, cause i am not in the company before
> that day, and at home i don't use windows.

FYI: The bug was independent from the OS.

Evaluation the following in a message buffer and previewing/sending
already triggered it.

(progn
 (insert (string (make-char 'latin-iso8859-1  196)))
 (insert (string (make-char 'latin-iso8859-15 196))))

I'm not sure why it replaces on `Ä' with `?', though.  But
`mm-charset-override-alist' wasn't indented to be use for encoding.
(I didn't think of this when implementing it.)  Maybe there's a better
solution than the current one.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Encoding buffer before sending does translate umlauts to question marks
@ 2005-10-14  6:56       ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2005-10-14  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Reiner,

> FYI: The bug was independent from the OS.

Ok - so...

> Evaluation the following in a message buffer

...results in a message after sending containing two umlaut A encoded
latin 1. Including the two different coded umlaut A in the subject line
also results in the same encoding.

,----[ C-u C-x = ]
|   character: Ä (04304, 2244, 0x8c4, U+00C4)
|     charset: [latin-iso8859-1]
|              (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100.)
|  code point: [68]
|      syntax: w 	which means: word
|    category: l:Latin
| buffer code: 0x81 0xC4
|   file code: 0xC4 (encoded by coding system iso-8859-15-unix)
`----

Thank you for fixing!

Best wishes, and a "schönes Wochenende",
  Christoph

* Re: Encoding buffer before sending does translate umlauts to question
@ 2005-10-17 10:03   ` Christoph Conrad
From: Christoph Conrad @ 2005-10-17 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Reiner,

> You you please try again after "cvs up"?

Fix also works on windows.

Best wishes,
  Christoph