* Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 19:23 D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-02-11 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm running Courier IMAP under Gentoo Linux, and using "No Gnus v0.2"
on the same machine.

Twice in the last few weeks I've gone looking for particular mails and
been unable to find them in Gnus, only to have mutt and Eudora locate
them with no trouble.  The messages exist as files under ~/Maildir,
and aren't different in any obvious way from those Gnus will let me
read.  I gather I've let Gnus's state info get out of sync with the
server, and I don't know how to recover.  Can some kind soul offer a
clue on how to proceed?

Best regards,
Michael

--
D. Michael McFarland
Department of Aerospace Engineering

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 19:44 ` Gaute B Strokkenes
From: Gaute B Strokkenes @ 2004-02-11 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 feb 2004, dmmcf@uiuc.edu wrote:

> I'm running Courier IMAP under Gentoo Linux, and using "No Gnus
> v0.2" on the same machine.
>
> Twice in the last few weeks I've gone looking for particular mails
> and been unable to find them in Gnus, only to have mutt and Eudora
> locate them with no trouble.  The messages exist as files under
> ~/Maildir, and aren't different in any obvious way from those Gnus
> will let me read.  I gather I've let Gnus's state info get out of
> sync with the server, and I don't know how to recover.  Can some
> kind soul offer a clue on how to proceed?

Do they show up if you enter the group with "C-u RET" ?  Gnus doesn't
show read messages by default.

--
Gaute Strokkenes                        http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~gs234/
Did we bring enough BEEF JERKY?

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 20:05   ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-02-11 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:

> On 11 feb 2004, dmmcf@uiuc.edu wrote:

>> Twice in the last few weeks I've gone looking for particular mails
>> and been unable to find them in Gnus, only to have mutt and Eudora
>> locate them with no trouble.

> Do they show up if you enter the group with "C-u RET" ?  Gnus doesn't
> show read messages by default.

No, they don't show up no matter what I do.  But thanks for your
reply.

As far as I can tell, new mail split into the group in question (by
procmail) is properly displayed.  I have a few ticked articles in that
group, and they behave normally.  Other mails from the same date _are_
accessible via C-u RET.  Ticking the problem mails on the server (in
mutt) does not make Gnus notice them.  Weird....

I use only manual expiry in this group, but quite a lot of that, and
lately I've been B DELing spam.  At first I thought maybe I'd gotten
careless and deleted the messages, but if other MUAs can work with
them, I'm inclined to think the problem lies in how I'm using gnus.

Michael

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 20:21     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-02-11 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland) writes:

> Gaute B Strokkenes <biggaute@uwc.net> writes:
>
>> On 11 feb 2004, dmmcf@uiuc.edu wrote:
>
>>> Twice in the last few weeks I've gone looking for particular mails
>>> and been unable to find them in Gnus, only to have mutt and Eudora
>>> locate them with no trouble.
>
>> Do they show up if you enter the group with "C-u RET" ?  Gnus doesn't
>> show read messages by default.
>
> No, they don't show up no matter what I do.

Not even after 'rm -rf ~/News/agent/nnimap/SERVER/group'?

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 20:54       ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-02-11 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson

> dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland) writes:

>> No, they don't show up no matter what I do.
>
> Not even after 'rm -rf ~/News/agent/nnimap/SERVER/group'?

Aha!  _That's_ what I needed.  Thank you very much!  My faith in Gnus
(and in my eyesight) is restored.

Michael

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 21:07         ` Erik Bourget
From: Erik Bourget @ 2004-02-11 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland) writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland) writes:
>
>>> No, they don't show up no matter what I do.
>>
>> Not even after 'rm -rf ~/News/agent/nnimap/SERVER/group'?
>
> Aha!  _That's_ what I needed.  Thank you very much!  My faith in Gnus
> (and in my eyesight) is restored.

rm -rf as a fix doesn't really restore my faith in Gnus, heh :)

- Erik

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 21:20           ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-02-11 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Bourget <erik@midmaine.com> writes:

> dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland) writes:

>> Aha!  _That's_ what I needed.  Thank you very much!  My faith in Gnus
>> (and in my eyesight) is restored.
>
> rm -rf as a fix doesn't really restore my faith in Gnus, heh :)

Actually, I used mv first. :-)  But compared to how I felt this morning,
I'm just brimming over with faith now.

Michael

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 22:45         ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-02-11 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland) writes:
>
>>> No, they don't show up no matter what I do.
>>
>> Not even after 'rm -rf ~/News/agent/nnimap/SERVER/group'?
>
> Aha!  _That's_ what I needed.  Thank you very much!  My faith in Gnus
> (and in my eyesight) is restored.

If you can reproduce this easily (that is, going from seeing an article
into not being able to see it at all), describing the steps might help
someone fix the caching mechanism.

* Re: Mail on IMAP server not seen in Gnus
@ 2004-02-11 23:08           ` D. Michael McFarland
From: D. Michael McFarland @ 2004-02-11 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Simon Josefsson

"Simon Josefsson" <jas@extundo.com> writes:

>> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:

> If you can reproduce this easily (that is, going from seeing an article
> into not being able to see it at all), describing the steps might help
> someone fix the caching mechanism.

If I notice it happenning again, I'll certainly try to isolate how it
happens.  For now, I think it likely that I Did Something while moving
maildir trees around with insufficient care.

Michael