Simon Josefsson writes: >> It's broken in your message, but seems to work fine when I send it: >> >> Горбачев > > I still see empty boxes, but perhaps Emacs is simply unable to select > a proper font (I do have all debian fonts installed though). The > only thing in my configuration I can think of is that I run Emacs in an > UTF-8 locale. I see empty boxes in my emacs as well, but when I copy it as utf-8 into a file and display it in Mozilla, I see "Gorbachev". This is perhaps why: In Emacs' international/fontset.el is a map from charset names to font registries. Emacs uses 'mule-unicode-0100-24ff' to describe the cyrillic characters above. The corresponding entry in fontset.el shows, that emacs will try an *-ISO10646-1 font for them. Since I use -Adobe-Courier-Medium-R-Normal--12-120-75-75-M-70-* as default font, and there exists a -ISO10646-1 variant, it will use this one. Unfortunately, the required positions within the font are empty, therefore the empty boxes. If I chose another font, "standard: 16-dot medium", from Emacs' font menu, no empty boxes but cyrillic characters are visible! Since this "16-dot medium" font (which is "-sony-fixed-medium...") is not available for Registry -ISO10646-1 in Debian, Emacs tries another font -- I don't know by what rule --, that is -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--15-140-75-75-C-90-ISO10646-1, and this one contains these cyrillic glyphs. -- Michael