* Is the snapshots down?
@ 2000-06-06 17:09 Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2000-06-06 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the past week I have been unable to get the nightly snapshots.

I click the link on the Gnus Distribution page, which attempts to contact:
        ftp://ftp.gnus.org/pub/gnus/snapshots/

That gets resolved to an IP address (193.69.4.139), but I can never get
through to the host.

Alternatively is there an alternative source for the nightly snapshots?

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidson @ acm.org

* Re: Is the snapshots down?
@ 2000-06-06 19:50 ` Felix Hagemann
From: Felix Hagemann @ 2000-06-06 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Davidson <jdavidson@nospam.com> writes:

> For the past week I have been unable to get the nightly snapshots.

I tried to reach ftp.gnus.org with Netscape, couldn`t get through. The I
tried plain ftp on the command line: worked like a charme!

Bye,
Fx

--
Gravity. It's not a rule, it's the law!

* Re: Is the snapshots down?
@ 2000-06-06 22:05 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2000-06-06 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

quimby.gnus.org seems to be down every now and then.  Normally it
comes back up after a day or so.
kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.

* Re: Is the snapshots down?
@ 2000-06-12 16:56   ` Jim Davidson
From: Jim Davidson @ 2000-06-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Hagemann <fx@coop-x.de> writes:

> Jim Davidson <jdavidson@nospam.com> writes:
>
> > For the past week I have been unable to get the nightly snapshots.
>
> I tried to reach ftp.gnus.org with Netscape, couldn`t get through. The I
> tried plain ftp on the command line: worked like a charme!
>
> Bye,
> Fx

That did the trick.  Thanks!

Dunno why it doesn't work with Netscape, but at least there's a workaround.

--
Jim Davidson
jdavidson @ acm.org

* Re: Is the snapshots down?
@ 2000-06-12 17:07     ` François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 2000-06-12 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Jim Davidson]
> Felix Hagemann <fx@coop-x.de> writes:
> > Jim Davidson <jdavidson@nospam.com> writes:

> > > For the past week I have been unable to get the nightly snapshots.

> > I tried to reach ftp.gnus.org with Netscape, couldn`t get through. The I
> > tried plain ftp on the command line: worked like a charme!

> That did the trick.  Thanks!

> Dunno why it doesn't work with Netscape, but at least there's a workaround.

It might be related to the fact that Netscape uses "passive FTP" mode.
Some firewalls allow passive FTP mode through, others allow FTP through
except for passive mode.  (Someone told me that, I did not study the matter).

* Re: Is the snapshots down?
@ 2000-06-12 17:18   ` Chris Shenton
From: Chris Shenton @ 2000-06-12 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Hagemann <fx@coop-x.de> writes:

> I tried to reach ftp.gnus.org with Netscape, couldn`t get through. The I
> tried plain ftp on the command line: worked like a charme!

I noticed this too. Has something changed with recentoid NetScape, or
with Quimby? Like PASV support in FTP?