As a result of MIT's class naming scheme, I have several folders of the form nnml:mail.classes.6.001, ...6.170, and so on. I also have a general folder nnml:mail.classes.6 which is used for an announcement list for all things pertaining to the department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (Course 6), which is total-expirable. I noticed today (using pgnus 0.95 under XEmacs 20.4) that Gnus was trying to expire ~/Mail/mail/classes/6/001, even though that's a group directory rather than an nnml message file. This is because nnheader-directory-articles doesn't look to see whether the files nnheader-directory-files-safe returns are directories or not. This can be fixed by tweaking the arguments passed to directory-files, which the attached patch to nnheader.el does.