Gnus development mailing list
* maildir and gnus
@ 2022-04-08 12:34 Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2022-04-08 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

Some years ago I used Gnus extensively but eventually moved to mu4e for
speed reasons.
Today I'm reconsidering Gnus.  What is the recommended setup for mbsync
with local maildir usage?  Is speed still an issue?

thanks
--
erik colson

* Re: maildir and gnus
@ 2022-04-08 13:13 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-04-08 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Friday,  8 Apr 2022 at 14:34, Erik Colson wrote:
> Some years ago I used Gnus extensively but eventually moved to mu4e for
> speed reasons.
> Today I'm reconsidering Gnus.  What is the recommended setup for mbsync
> with local maildir usage?  Is speed still an issue?

Hi Erik,

speed can be an issue with nnmaildir.  It depends on what mbsync does to
file update times in the various maildir directories.  I switched to
nnml for my local email storage as it's a lot more efficient.  For
nnmaildir, my groups had to be rescanned every time and this operation
takes O(n^4) time, where n is the number of emails in the group.  The
rescanning was necessary, in my case, because I was using unison to keep
3-4 systems in sync which meant that gnus had to regenerate the index
tables it uses for each group.

But if mbsync is smart, you may not encounter this issue.  Try it and
see?

eric
--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.3

* Re: maildir and gnus
@ 2022-05-04 12:31   ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2022-05-04 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Friday,  8 Apr 2022 at 14:34, Erik Colson wrote:
>> Some years ago I used Gnus extensively but eventually moved to mu4e for
>> speed reasons.
>> Today I'm reconsidering Gnus.  What is the recommended setup for mbsync
>> with local maildir usage?  Is speed still an issue?
>
> Hi Erik,
>
> speed can be an issue with nnmaildir.  It depends on what mbsync does to
> file update times in the various maildir directories.  I switched to
> nnml for my local email storage as it's a lot more efficient.  For
> nnmaildir, my groups had to be rescanned every time and this operation
> takes O(n^4) time, where n is the number of emails in the group.  The
> rescanning was necessary, in my case, because I was using unison to keep
> 3-4 systems in sync which meant that gnus had to regenerate the index
> tables it uses for each group.
>
> But if mbsync is smart, you may not encounter this issue.  Try it and
> see?

So I finally installed the thing: mbsync / dovecot / nnimap

Still some issues but not speed actually.

best
--
erik colson