* why not introducing faces for low and high scores
@ 2022-03-12  7:40 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-12  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

As I said earlier, I want to use scoring, especially low scoring for not
displaying the low scored messages.

However gnus has only few real faces most of them are derivations of the
basic ones.

So the only way of achieving my goal was to set

    1. Gnus-summary-highlight to
       ((> score default-high)
      . gnus-summary-high-ticked)
     ((< score default-low)
      . gnus-summary-cancelled)

    2. Setting the cancelled fonts to say white fore and background, but
       that has also some implications.

So why not introduce a new face for high and low scoring?
What do others think?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condem Putin's war of agression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* Re: why not introducing faces for low and high scores
@ 2022-03-12  9:17 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-12  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday, 12 Mar 2022 at 08:40, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> So why not introduce a new face for high and low scoring?
> What do others think?

But there *are* faces for low and high (and normal) scores:

 gnus-summary-high-ancient
 gnus-summary-high-read
 gnus-summary-high-ticked
 gnus-summary-high-unread
 gnus-summary-low-ancient
 gnus-summary-low-read
 gnus-summary-low-ticked
 gnus-summary-low-unread
 gnus-summary-normal-ancient
 gnus-summary-normal-read
 gnus-summary-normal-ticked
 gnus-summary-normal-unread

I understood your original request, which was to completely hide low
score articles, but faces do exist which cover all the cases?

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.2 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.2

* Re: why not introducing faces for low and high scores
@ 2022-03-12 10:18   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-12 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> On Saturday, 12 Mar 2022 at 08:40, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> So why not introduce a new face for high and low scoring?
>> What do others think?

> But there *are* faces for low and high (and normal) scores:

>  gnus-summary-high-ancient
>  gnus-summary-high-read
>  gnus-summary-high-ticked
>  gnus-summary-high-unread
>  gnus-summary-low-ancient
>  gnus-summary-low-read
>  gnus-summary-low-ticked
>  gnus-summary-low-unread
>  gnus-summary-normal-ancient
>  gnus-summary-normal-read
>  gnus-summary-normal-ticked
>  gnus-summary-normal-unread

> I understood your original request, which was to completely hide low
> score articles, but faces do exist which cover all the cases?

But most of these faces are *derived* faces,
and derived faces don't allow you to change background and foreground.

So in order to have white back and foreground I have to modify the basic ones, either

gnus-summary-normal-read
gnus-summary-normal-unread
or
gnus-summary-cancelled.

Of course it could be that I oversee something.

Uwe

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: why not introducing faces for low and high scores
@ 2022-03-12 10:33     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-03-12 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

> So in order to have white back and foreground I have to modify the
> basic ones, either

When you want both back- and foreground white is that a hack to almost
not see articles that are scored (that) low, or do you actually prefer
(seemingly) empty lines in the Summary buffer rather than the lines not
being there at all?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "The party's over and there's less and less to say         Adam Sjøgren
  I got new eyes, everything looks far away"           asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: why not introducing faces for low and high scores
@ 2022-03-12 11:00       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-12 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "AS" == Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Uwe writes:
>> So in order to have white back and foreground I have to modify the
>> basic ones, either

> When you want both back- and foreground white is that a hack to almost
> not see articles that are scored (that) low,

right, I do not wish to see emails from certain authors that I have
scored low.

Such a behavior that was originally achieved by using kill files, but
the same problem occurs concerning how to display these messages (I have
set display articles to all, not default)

Uwe

--

@ 2022-03-12 11:18         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-03-12 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe writes:

>> When you want both back- and foreground white is that a hack to almost
>> not see articles that are scored (that) low,

> right, I do not wish to see emails from certain authors that I have
> scored low.

I use this settin to avoid even having a line in the Summary buffer for
the lowest scoring articles:

    ; Scoring, don't show the lowest of the low:
    (setq gnus-summary-expunge-below -9999)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'm a tree-surgeon if you like"                           Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: why not introducing faces for low and high scores
@ 2022-03-12 15:55     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-03-12 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Uwe,

I see that Adam has given you an answer that addresses your real issue
and hopefully that'll do the job.  But I thought I would follow up on
this:

On Saturday, 12 Mar 2022 at 11:18, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> But most of these faces are *derived* faces,
> and derived faces don't allow you to change background and foreground.

You mean inherited?  Nothing stops you from redefining the face to
remove the :inherit property and define the face as you want it.

--

@ 2022-03-12 16:33       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-12 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Hi Uwe,
> I see that Adam has given you an answer that addresses your real issue
> and hopefully that'll do the job.  But I thought I would follow up on
> this:

> On Saturday, 12 Mar 2022 at 11:18, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> But most of these faces are *derived* faces,
>> and derived faces don't allow you to change background and foreground.

> You mean inherited?

Ups, I meant inherited, sorry.
> Nothing stops you from redefining the face to
> remove the :inherit property and define the face as you want it.

Oh, really hm I could try that.

On the other hand  Adam made also an interesting proposal, that I will check now.

--

@ 2022-03-12 16:39           ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-03-12 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding