From: Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: sorry man off-topic
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:51:54 +0200	[thread overview]

Alberto Luaces wrote:

> I did many years ago, and in fact I quite enjoyed it, but
> recommending it nowadays to a newbie is a terrible advice,
> no offense.

An intro book in C is about the C language which is very easy.
It is possible to learn _without_ a book at age 12, you just
need a text file, an editor, a compiler, and the Internet.

What is difficult OTOH is getting a grip and hold of the
libraries and develop an engineering instinct how to make them
work with your tweaks and adaptations to ultimately solve
a problem or provide a service in a technology setting that
have particular characteristics and attributes even when your
program enters the scene.

So, a "newbie" can read zero, one or _all_ intro books on C,
and the effect of that is a function of the "newbie"'s
cognitive abilities, dedication, and work habits, not on the
quality of the C books, of which there are many that are very
good - and especially that won't ever happen here, since
that's a great book, iconic even, and the C language hasn't
changed much at all (on the contrary, other languages have
adopted its syntax) - so even if that argument made sense,
which it doesn't, it makes even less sense here!

Write code every day, and as for books the more good books you
read the better. That's all there is to it. Be confident and
don't worry about meaningless details e.g. what particular
book to read, what order to do what, what standard may have
changed to a minimal extent from one point to another on the
timeline before you were born, instead have FUN and add VOLUME
every day. V O L U M E while thinking at the same time.

#@$%&!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal