* Re: Change the Gnus default to use `#' to toggle the process mark
@ 2021-06-14 11:03 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-06-14 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I noticed this change in the excellent Emacs news, and that made me
wonder: would it make sense for this to also happen for other kinds of
marks, ticking, etc?

E.g. typing ! sets the "!"-mark and typing ! again would remove it?

(I wish the same would happen with marked files in dired, I can remember
to mark 'm', but I can never remember how to remove marks again...)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Mein Kopf tut weh mach die Augen zu"                      Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Change the Gnus default to use `#' to toggle the process mark
@ 2021-06-15 14:00 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-06-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> I noticed this change in the excellent Emacs news, and that made me
> wonder: would it make sense for this to also happen for other kinds of
> marks, ticking, etc?
>
> E.g. typing ! sets the "!"-mark and typing ! again would remove it?

Hm...  well, an article may have many mutually exclusive readedness
states -- unread, read, ticked, dormant, so ideally "removing it" would
mean restoring the previous state, I guess?

So it's not as simple with these commands, I think, and might be pretty
confusing.

> (I wish the same would happen with marked files in dired, I can remember
> to mark 'm', but I can never remember how to remove marks again...)

Somebody said there was a user option to control that in Dired, but I
haven't actually looked.  :-)

* Re: Change the Gnus default to use `#' to toggle the process mark
@ 2021-06-15 14:32   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2021-06-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars writes:

> Hm...  well, an article may have many mutually exclusive readedness
> states -- unread, read, ticked, dormant, so ideally "removing it" would
> mean restoring the previous state, I guess?

I thought, naïvely, that specifically ticked was unrelated to the
others, just "overriding" the display, but, yes, if they are intertwined
you are right it would probably be nigh impossible to make toggling do
the "right" thing in all cases.

Maybe I should just advice ! to do whatever it is I type to remove !'s,
if the article is already !'ed. Hm!

>> (I wish the same would happen with marked files in dired, I can remember
>> to mark 'm', but I can never remember how to remove marks again...)
>
> Somebody said there was a user option to control that in Dired, but I
> haven't actually looked.  :-)

Just as I said I couldn't remember the keybinding, I pressed u and it worked...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Nej, kungar kan inte värpa. Dom är pojkar."               Adam Sjøgren
                                                       asjo@koldfront.dk