From: "Garreau\, Alexandre" <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: `gnus-build-sparse-threads' docstring
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 16:14:29 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2018/10/18 at 15:57, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:

> When putting a raw symbol, not to be evaluated, in docstring,
> `describe-variable' highlights these as links to same-name symbol
> description (`describe-symbol').  Yet in `gnus-build-sparse-threads',
> “'some” doesn’t refer to `some' (the cl function, alias for `cl-some'),
> so I guess it would be more correctly written as “'some” or 'some
> directly, instead of `some'.

Also I find the docstring rather less explanative about the use of
“'all”/t (what’s the difference with “more”?), see afterwards:

Docstring:
  "*If non-nil, fill in the gaps in threads.
If `some', only fill in the gaps that are needed to tie loose threads
together.  If `more', fill in all leaf nodes that Gnus can find.  If
non-nil and non-`some', fill in all gaps that Gnus manages to guess."

Manual:
     Fetching old headers can be slow.  A low-rent similar effect can be
     gotten by setting this variable to ‘some’.  Gnus will then look at
     the complete ‘References’ headers of all articles and try to string
     together articles that belong in the same thread.  This will leave
     “gaps” in the threading display where Gnus guesses that an article
     is missing from the thread.  (These gaps appear like normal summary
     lines.  If you select a gap, Gnus will try to fetch the article in
     question.)  If this variable is ‘t’, Gnus will display all these
     “gaps” without regard for whether they are useful for completing
     the thread or not.  Finally, if this variable is ‘more’, Gnus won’t
     cut off sparse leaf nodes that don’t lead anywhere.  This variable
     is ‘nil’ by default.