* Re: All non-marked messages unread
       [not found] <87387iad7o.fsf@Equus.decebal.nl>
@ 2015-01-11 14:04 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-01-11 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Saturday, 10 Jan 2015 at 16:04, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> I have a very strange problem. All messages from a certain folder that
> where not marked became unread. This where around 30.000 messages. I
> used ‘c’ (gnus-summary-catchup-and-exit) to mark them again as read.
>
> When entering the group again disaster has struck: there where only
> 4.000 messages (about 13%) left. All the others had disappeared.
>
> What has happened here?

I have no idea but I have had the same thing happen (in terms of
non-marked articles being made unread) 2 or 3 times in the past 2 years,
but only with IMAP to an MS Exchange Server and never with other IMAP
servers (just in an attempt to add a data point).  Incredibly
annoying.

In my case, I did not lose anything however but maybe this is due to
your expiry settings?

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 25.0.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-2748228

* Re: All non-marked messages unread
@ 2015-01-12  7:55   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2015-01-12  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I have no idea but I have had the same thing happen (in terms of
> non-marked articles being made unread) 2 or 3 times in the past 2 years,
> but only with IMAP to an MS Exchange Server and never with other IMAP
> servers (just in an attempt to add a data point).  Incredibly
> annoying.

With two gnusen open on the same group, the last one to quit the group
will win.  Could that be what was happening...?

* Re: All non-marked messages unread
@ 2015-01-12 18:14     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2015-01-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 12 Jan 2015 at 08:55, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> I have no idea but I have had the same thing happen (in terms of
>> non-marked articles being made unread) 2 or 3 times in the past 2 years,
>> but only with IMAP to an MS Exchange Server and never with other IMAP
>> servers (just in an attempt to add a data point).  Incredibly
>> annoying.
>
> With two gnusen open on the same group, the last one to quit the group
> will win.  Could that be what was happening...?

not in my case; maybe relevant for the OP.  I never have more than one
gnus running at any time.

I personally think there's a problem (well, many) with MS Exchange...  I
wish I didn't have to use it but all attempts at local copies with
synchronisation (isync, offlineimap) have failed due to strange errors
with the server.

Anyway, not a problem.  I've learned to live with this and I have more
serious issues to address than the shortcomings of MS Exchange...  I
simply wanted to add a datat point for the OP's benefit.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-d432ec2

* Re: All non-marked messages unread
@ 2015-01-12 19:52       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2015-01-12 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> I personally think there's a problem (well, many) with MS Exchange...  I
> wish I didn't have to use it but all attempts at local copies with
> synchronisation (isync, offlineimap) have failed due to strange errors
> with the server.

If you don't need to access your email from other clients, I can
recommend downloading the emails from MS Exchange, using IMAP as a fancy
POP3, and storing them locally (say, in nnml). That has worked without
problem for me the past 7+ years.

  Best regards,

    Adam, taking this even more off topic, and probably repeating myself...

--
 "If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being          Adam Sjøgren
  gruntled."                                             asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: All non-marked messages unread
@ 2015-01-15  8:08         ` e.fraga
From: e.fraga @ 2015-01-15  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Monday, 12 Jan 2015 at 20:52, Adam Sjøgren wrote:

[...]

> If you don't need to access your email from other clients, I can
> recommend downloading the emails from MS Exchange, using IMAP as a fancy
> POP3, and storing them locally (say, in nnml). That has worked without
> problem for me the past 7+ years.

Yes, maybe this could be the ay to go.  I do access my mail from various
other devices but less so all the time as my portable linux devices
become more portable and more powerful....

thanks.
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.1 + Ma Gnus v0.12 + evil-git-2748228