From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: How do you use gnus? really.
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 08:29:49 +0200	[thread overview]

> One thing I constantly want to do is go to my sent messages and find the
> thread in the actual NNTP channels, like this channel. But I cant do
> that.

> I press ^ over the message in sent+archive:2014-09 folder and I get:

>     No reference in article x" or "cant find article some-cryptic-id"

"No reference in article x" means that the article you try to find the
parent of, doesn't have a references header or a in-reply-to header.

"can't find article some-cryptic-id" means that the server doesn't know
anything about the article.  Are you offline when you try this?

> I can't believe for a second that I;m the only person that has that
> workflow.

I don't know.

I think the 'T s' command (gnus-summary-show-thread) is more what you're
looking for, than '^'.  Though it will have the same limitations with
respect to missing references as the '^' command does.

> How do you use GNUS in a way that avoid this problem?
> How do you find the messages you sent in all the channels and then find
> the answers to those messages?

I don't understand what you mean by this.  Do you post the same message
to multiple groups?

> You scroll through every channel in which you;re interested?

I'm subscribed to the groups I'm interested, and when the Group buffer
shows me that a group has new articles, I enter that group.

If I have posted something I want to see the answer to, I go to my own
article when it first appears, and mark it with '?'.

Then it will be hidden the next time I enter the group, unless it has
been replied to, in which case the entire thread from the '?'-article to
the response will be displayed.

I also score up articles posted by me, so that they, and the threads
responding to them, will be displayed first when I enter a group.