* Re: Setting up gmail
       [not found] <87a9cf4d5u.fsf@talktalk.net>
@ 2014-03-25  9:04 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-25  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon,

you seem to be overcomplicating things.  The following excerpt from my
.gnus.el file specifies various mailboxen:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
                                        (nnimap "work"
                                                (nnimap-address "outlook.office365.com")
                                                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                                                (nnimap-stream ssl))
                                        (nnimap "google"
                                                (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
                                                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                                (nnimap-stream ssl))
                                        (nnimap "yahoo"
                                                (nnimap-address "imap.mail.yahoo.com")
                                                (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                                (nnimap-stream ssl))
                                        )
        gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
        )
#+end_src

All the other information for each host is in the .authinfo file (user
name, password).

Start with something like this and then build up, as others have
suggested.

Note that the main select method is a dummy one.

HTH,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.50.2 + Ma Gnus v0.10 + evil 1.0-dev

* Re: Setting up gmail
@ 2014-03-25  9:34   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-03-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:04:07 +0000
Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Sharon,
>
> you seem to be overcomplicating things.  The following excerpt from my
> .gnus.el file specifies various mailboxen:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
>                                         (nnimap "work"
>                                                 (nnimap-address
> "outlook.office365.com") (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
>                                                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
>                                         (nnimap "google"
>                                                 (nnimap-address
> "imap.gmail.com") (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
>                                         (nnimap "yahoo"
>                                                 (nnimap-address
> "imap.mail.yahoo.com") (nnimap-server-port 993)
>                                                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
>                                         )
>         gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
>         )
> #+end_src
>
> All the other information for each host is in the .authinfo file (user
> name, password).
>
> Start with something like this and then build up, as others have
> suggested.
>
> Note that the main select method is a dummy one.

Thanks for this Eric, it will be useful as I have several imap accounts
that I want to use, but how, and where do you call the .authinfo file
please? That is my main stumbling block at the moment with setting up
my gmail imap account.

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Setting up gmail
@ 2014-03-25 11:22     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> Thanks for this Eric, it will be useful as I have several imap accounts
> that I want to use, but how, and where do you call the .authinfo file
> please? That is my main stumbling block at the moment with setting up
> my gmail imap account.

I am not sure what you mean by "calling" the authinfo file.  In my case,
gnus automatically checks for and then reads my .authinfo.gpg file (I
have mine encrypted and I recommend you do so as well but it's not
necessary).

What happens if you start with an absolutely minimal .gnus.el file,
based on what I posted before?  Does gnus not find your authinfo file
and process it?

--

@ 2014-03-25 13:30       ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-03-25 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks for this Eric, it will be useful as I have several imap accounts
>> that I want to use, but how, and where do you call the .authinfo file
>> please? That is my main stumbling block at the moment with setting up
>> my gmail imap account.
>
> I am not sure what you mean by "calling" the authinfo file.  In my case,
> gnus automatically checks for and then reads my .authinfo.gpg file (I
> have mine encrypted and I recommend you do so as well but it's not
> necessary).
>
> What happens if you start with an absolutely minimal .gnus.el file,
> based on what I posted before?  Does gnus not find your authinfo file
> and process it?

I have used this in my '.gnus.el'
,----
|   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "")
|                                                 (nnimap "google"
|                                                 (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
|                                                 (nnimap-server-port 993)
|                                                 (nnimap-stream ssl))
|                                                                               )
|         gnus-select-method '(nnnil "")
|         )
`----
And although it doesn't state it in the messages buffer, it fails on the
authentication, and shows in the 'server' buffer - {nnimap:google} (denied)

This is with a properly formatted ~/.authinfo with all the relevant information
in it. BUT THE WRONG PASSWORD!

Doh!
Sorry!

@ 2014-03-25 19:56         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2014-03-25 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

[...]

> This is with a properly formatted ~/.authinfo with all the relevant information
> in it. BUT THE WRONG PASSWORD!

Ooops! :(  Does this mean you have it working now?  If so, excellent!

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xFFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.4.50.2 + Ma Gnus v0.10 + evil 1.0-dev
: BBDB version 3.1.1 (2014-03-11 17:17:00 -0500)

* IMAP Setup (was: Setting up gmail)
@ 2014-03-25 20:10           ` Clemens Schüller
From: Clemens Schüller @ 2014-03-25 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello!

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> This is with a properly formatted ~/.authinfo with all the relevant information
>> in it. BUT THE WRONG PASSWORD!
>
> Ooops! :(  Does this mean you have it working now?  If so, excellent!

A ask at the edge:

What difference makes it, when i setup my IMAP Accounts directly in my
.gnus or to add it in the server buffer (^)?

--
Best Regards, Clemens Schüller

* Re: Setting up gmail
@ 2014-04-06 20:14           ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2014-04-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> This is with a properly formatted ~/.authinfo with all the relevant information
>> in it. BUT THE WRONG PASSWORD!
>
> Ooops! :(  Does this mean you have it working now?  If so, excellent!

Shouldn't she have been prompted for passwd in that case?