* Ways of selectively accessing only certain mail accounts? (Profiles?)
@ 2014-02-03 18:05 michael.zombok
From: michael.zombok @ 2014-02-03 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I am using Gnus since several years and I really like it. Thanks to all
the developers for this wounderful peace of software! :-)

One thing I was not able to manage with Gnus so far is to selectively
access only certain mail accounts. The background is that I would like
to split my private and work related mails, hence having something like
two seperate Gnus 'profiles' each with its own accounts, mails,
settings, etc.

Is this possible? Or are there other ways to handle this? How do you do
this?

Thanks and all the best,
Michael

* Re: Ways of selectively accessing only certain mail accounts? (Profiles?)
@ 2014-02-03 21:59 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2014-02-03 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.zombok; +Cc: ding

michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:

> One thing I was not able to manage with Gnus so far is to selectively
> access only certain mail accounts. The background is that I would like
> to split my private and work related mails, hence having something like
> two seperate Gnus 'profiles' each with its own accounts, mails,
> settings, etc.

I think what most people do is just split the mail into appropriate
work/private groups...

* Re: Ways of selectively accessing only certain mail accounts? (Profiles?)
@ 2014-02-03 22:57   ` Mark Simpson
From: Mark Simpson @ 2014-02-03 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Lars> michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:

    >> One thing I was not able to manage with Gnus so far is to
    >> selectively access only certain mail accounts. The background is
    >> that I would like to split my private and work related mails,
    >> hence having something like two seperate Gnus 'profiles' each
    >> with its own accounts, mails, settings, etc.

    Lars> I think what most people do is just split the mail into
    Lars> appropriate work/private groups...

And then you can use the posting-style setting for the groups in
gnus-parameters to set your correct from address etc.

Ciao
Mark

* Re: Ways of selectively accessing only certain mail accounts? (Profiles?)
@ 2014-02-04  2:57     ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2014-02-04  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Lars> michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:

>>> One thing I was not able to manage with Gnus so far is to
>>> selectively access only certain mail accounts. The background is
>>> that I would like to split my private and work related mails,
>>> hence having something like two seperate Gnus 'profiles' each
>>> with its own accounts, mails, settings, etc.

Back when I could use my work computer for both work and personal email I used to use something like this:

(cond ((string= (getenv "WHEREAMI") "work")
       (; set up select methods, outgoing mail server etc for work email))
      (t (; set up select methods, outgoing mail server etc for personal
            email)))

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: Ways of selectively accessing only certain mail accounts? (Profiles?)
@ 2014-02-04  7:17   ` michael.zombok
From: michael.zombok @ 2014-02-04  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

    Lars> michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:
    >> One thing I was not able to manage with Gnus so far is to
    >> selectively access only certain mail accounts. The background is
    >> that I would like to split my private and work related mails,
    >> hence having something like two seperate Gnus 'profiles' each
    >> with its own accounts, mails, settings, etc.

    Lars> I think what most people do is just split the mail into
    Lars> appropriate work/private groups...

yeah, I am already doing this. But I even don't want to see the groups
(and new mails getting into these groups at the weekend :)

@ 2014-02-04  7:20       ` michael.zombok
From: michael.zombok @ 2014-02-04  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    Dave> Back when I could use my work computer for both work and
    Dave> personal email I used to use something like this:

    Dave> (cond ((string= (getenv "WHEREAMI") "work") (; set up select
    Dave> methods, outgoing mail server etc for work email)) (t (; set
    Dave> up select methods, outgoing mail server etc for personal
    Dave> email)))

Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply. Making the select methods, etc. environment
specific would be a good thing to do. I will think about it. I am also
thinking about going one step further and even have to seperate user
accounts / logins. Then I could seperate not only mails but also
directories, window managener preferences, etc. ... have to think about
it.

@ 2014-02-04  7:41     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2014-02-04  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.zombok; +Cc: ding

michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:

>     Lars> michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:
>     >> One thing I was not able to manage with Gnus so far is to
>     >> selectively access only certain mail accounts. The background is
>     >> that I would like to split my private and work related mails,
>     >> hence having something like two seperate Gnus 'profiles' each
>     >> with its own accounts, mails, settings, etc.
>
>     Lars> I think what most people do is just split the mail into
>     Lars> appropriate work/private groups...
>
> yeah, I am already doing this. But I even don't want to see the groups
> (and new mails getting into these groups at the weekend :)

You could use topics to separate Work & Private groups.  And it should
be easy to add some elisp to `gnus-topic-mode-hook' that collapses the
Work topic on weekends automatically (see `gnus-topic-hide-topic').  Of
course, you can still expand it easily again and start working on
weekends...

Bye,
Tassilo