From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: <ding@gnus.org>
Subject: Re: isync plus dovecot?
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 17:02:17 +0100	[thread overview]

> I'm finally trying to ditch nnml for mail reading, and move to imap.
> Offlineimap plus dovecot seems to be a popular solution (I am offline a
> lot), but I also saw a lot of complaints about offlineimap, and the
> suggestion of isync/mbsync as a replacement.

I used to use offlineimap but gave up.  It just wasn't robust enough for
me.

I now use the gnus agent, and have been doing so for a couple of years
at least.  It also has some issues of robustness but not as many as I
found with offlineimap (YMMV).  I also spend considerable amount of time
offline every day and in fact process the majority of my emails offline
(like right now).

A lot will depend on what IMAP server you are using.  I, for my sins,
have to use an Outlook Exchange server which is very annoyingly not
standard compliant.  Google's gmail is also not quite with the standards
but seems to cause me less problems.

My various email folders (aka groups) have up to 5000 emails typically,
although largest is about 15000, so not quite your levels but also not
out of line completely.  Total email content is about 3GB.  However, my
actual "inbox" is always empty as I split all my incoming emails to
specific folders on retrieval.

HTH,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 + Ma Gnus v0.8 + evil 1.0-dev