From: Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: IMAP-related questions
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:20:23 +0100	[thread overview]

>> But you can't set marks on the server when using a mail source.

> Are you talking about the client?

Um... I'm not sure about your client/server terminology here, but if you
are using mail source in a Gnus installation, you pull email messages
into Gnus, for management by Gnus in local folders, not related to any
server.

> I'm using the following:

> (setq gnus-select-method
> 	  '(nnimap "main"
> 			   (nnimap-address "<MACHINE>")
> 			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))

Right.  This sets up Gnus to use an IMAP server, and to create nnimap
groups for folders on that server.  In this case, the messages live on
the IMAP server, and marks are set on the messages on the IMAP server.

(Note: this is _not_ using IMAP as a mail source)

>> If you want to set marks on an IMAP server, you have to make nnimap
>> groups of the folders on the server.

> Could you provide more pointers?

> New messages are stored in nnml:mail:misc by default (on the
> server). How to redirect them to nnimap?

You are running a Gnus installation on the machine that contains the
IMAP server?  And you are using an IMAP mail source here?

If so, then new messages are pulled from the IMAP server, and a copy of
them are stored locally under your home directory in an nnml group.
Nothing you do to messages in the nnml group will ever be seen on the
IMAP server.

However, if you create an nnimap server like you have on your client
machine, ie.
 (setq gnus-select-method
	  '(nnimap "main"
			   (nnimap-address "<MACHINE>")
			   (nnimap-stream ssl)))
and subscribe to folders on the nnimap server as groups in Gnus, then
both gnus installation will see the same messages and marks (or deletes)
done on one Gnus installation will be seen by the others.

To subscribe to the IMAP folders as groups, type `^' in the Group buffer
to go to the Server buffer.  In the Server buffer, locate the line
containing:
 {nnimap:main}

Then position the cursor on that line and press RET.

This will enter a "Browse Buffer" for your IMAP server, and there will
be one line for each folder on the server.  Press `u' over those folders
you would like to see as nnimap group, and type `q' to go back to the
Server buffer, and `q' once more to return to the Group buffer.

When you get back to the Group buffer your should see your new nnimap
groups.