* setup a news mail box
@ 2011-09-04 16:35 aurelien@hipatia.net
From: aurelien@hipatia.net @ 2011-09-04 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

I have different trouble with Gnus ... let's start by this one.

I have got a mail box from which i can receive ... but don't arrived to
send.

here is the .gnus.el :: (this file is complet and used like this)
just after the recommendation of the postmaster

Thanks for your help, thanks for Gnus!

-- aurelien
P.S. :: Why From: contain (aurelien@hipatia.net) ?

;; hipatia.net

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "hipatia"
				  (nnimap-address "imaps.hipatia.net")
				  (nnimap-server-port 993)))
(setq mail-sources
      '((imap :server "imaps.hipatia.net"
	     :port 993
	     :user "aurelien@hipatia.net"
	     :stream ssl)))
(load-library "starttls")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml ""))
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.hipatia.net" 2728 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.hipatia.net" 2728 "aurelien@hipatia.net" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.hipatia.net"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.hipatia.net"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 2728
      user-mail-address "aurelien@hipatia.net")

;; Tell gnus which method to use for archives (nnfolder)
 (setq gnus-message-archive-method
       '(nnfolder "archive"
                  (nnfolder-directory   "~/Mail/archive")
                  (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                  (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
                  (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))
;; Tell gnus into which group to store messages
 (setq gnus-message-archive-group
       '((if (message-news-p)
             "misc-news"
           (concat "mail." (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time))))))

;; Postmaster Recommendations

the server is 89.96.196.150
namrata.hipatia.net
mail box is namrata.hipatia.net
standard ports
#
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
#
smtp      inet  n       -       -       -       -       smtpd
2728      inet  n       -       -       -       -        smtpd
this is postfix
# Protocols we want to be serving: imap imaps pop3 pop3s managesieve
								        [02:48]
# If you only want to use dovecot-auth, you can set this to "none".
#   protocols = imap imaps
#   protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
#   protocol imap {
#     listen = *:10143
#     ssl_listen = *:10943
#     ..
this is for dovecot
imap2           143/tcp         imap            # Interim Mail
Access
P 2 and 4
imap2           143/udp         imap
imap3           220/tcp                         # Interactive
Mail
Access
imap3           220/udp                         # Protocol v3   [02:49]
imaps           993/tcp                         # IMAP over SSL
imaps           993/udp

* Re: setup a news mail box
@ 2011-09-04 19:07 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-09-04 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 18:35:49 +0200, aurelien@hipatia.net wrote:

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "hipatia"
> 				  (nnimap-address "imaps.hipatia.net")
> 				  (nnimap-server-port 993)))

First you set gnus-select-method...

> (setq mail-sources
>       '((imap :server "imaps.hipatia.net"
> 	     :port 993
> 	     :user "aurelien@hipatia.net"
> 	     :stream ssl)))

Then you set mail-sources...

If you want to use your hipatia.net account as a normal IMAP-account
(the mail lives on the server), you should not set mail-sources.

If you want to use IMAP as a POP-on-stereoids (i.e. download all
messages from the server and store them locally; unlikely), you should
only set mail-sources, not a select-method.

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org")

Here you overwrite the value you set gnus-select-method to previously!!

>       user-mail-address "aurelien@hipatia.net")

I think this is why you get that string in your From: header.

Hope this helps a little bit.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "What do you feel                                            Adam Sjøgren
  When you let go of the wheel"                          asjo@koldfront.dk