From: lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: problem sending drafts
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:29:11 +0200	[thread overview]

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:41:32 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Archiving doesn't seem to work at all. The first time I set it up, gnus
>> messed up it's active file; the second time, gnus confused native nnml
>> groups with the archive groups when splitting mail.
>
> Archiving has worked for the last decade+ for me.
>
> My setup is an nnml-archive like this:
>
>   ;  Archive outgoing articles:
>   (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
>                                            (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>                                            (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>                                            (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>                                            (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

When I had

,----
| ;; (setq gnus-message-archive-method
| ;;       '(nnfolder "gnus-arc"
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))
`----

gnus screwed up it's active file.  Last time I tried the same but with
`nnfolder-directory' set to ~/Mailarchive and `nnfolder-active-file' set
to ~/Mailarchive/active.  The result was that when splitting mail, some
or all of the mail was put into groups of the archive server rather than
into the native nnml groups where they were supposed to go, and I had to
recover from the backup.

Now I have an "{nnfolder:archive} (opened)" entry in the server view. I
didn't specify that, and it cannot be edited or deleted.

When `gcc-self' is set in `gnus-parameters' or when a "Gcc" header is
set in a posting style[1], the archive group is always ignored.

So how did you get it to work?  How do I get rid of an archive server I
don't want?

[1]: When you specify other headers in a posting style, setting
     `gcc-self` is ignored, so you have to set it as one of the headers
     in the posting style.

>   (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>         '((if (message-news-p)
>               (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
>             (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))
>
> Which gives me nnml+archive:mail-2011 and nnml+archive:news-2011 etc.
> groups for each year.

Yeah, that would be nice to have.

> The default currently is, as far as I remember, to use monthly
> nnfolder:archive-YYYY-MM groups.

Well, I have a group like that, probably created by nndiary, which
doesn't work, either.  There are two nndiary servers in the server view
that cannot be edited or removed.

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855