* problem sending drafts
@ 2011-07-22 17:31 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-07-22 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi--

I'm using "recent gnus" via git, and I'm having some trouble sending
drafts. Well, the drafts do get sent, but gnus subsequently hangs
until I `C-g'.

I have two gmail imap accounts

,----
| 	(nnimap "personal"
| 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
| 		(nnimap-stream ssl)
| 		)
| 	(nnimap "gmail-tufts"
| 		(nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
| 		(nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
| 		(nnimap-stream ssl)
| 		)
`----

I send mail as follows:

,----
| ;; use msmtp to send mail
| (setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
| (setq sendmail-program "msmtp")
`----

And I have gnus-posting-styles set with the following

,----
| (setq gnus-posting-styles
|  '(
|    (".*"
|     (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmcninch-gmail")))
|     <snip>
|     )
|    ("tufts"
|     (eval (setq message-sendmail-extra-arguments '("-a" "gmcninch-tufts")))
|     <snip>
|     )
|  ))
`----

where "gmcninch-gmail" and "gmcninch-tufts" are accounts defined in
~/.msmtprc

If I start composing a message in gnus, save it (`C-x C-s'), and then
try to send it, the mail is indeed sent, but then gnus seems to hang
trying to make some connection, as shown in these *Messages*:

For mail composed/sent as "gmcninch-gmail"
,----
| Sending...
| Sending via mail...
| Sending...done
| Opening connection to personal via tls...
| Opening TLS connection to `personal'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps personal'...
| Quit [2 times]
`----

and for mail composed/sent as "gmcninch-tufts"
,----
| Sending...
| Sending via mail...
| Sending...done
| Opening connection to gmail-tufts via tls...
| Opening TLS connection to `gmail-tufts'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps gmail-tufts'...
| Quit
`----

In both cases the Quit(s) are the result of me `C-g'-ing because
gnus was hung.

I'm actually a little confused why gnus is trying to make a connection
then at all.

The variable gnus-message-archive-group is set to

,----
| (add-to-list 'gnus-message-archive-group
| 	     (list "gmail-tufts" "nnimap+gmail-tufts:[Gmail]/Sent Mail"))
`----

so in one case maybe the connection is an attempt to archive the mail,
and it is hanging (but that archiving seems to be unaffected by the
hang-up).

best,
george

--
George McNinch <gmcninch (at) gmail.com>
http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu

* Re: problem sending drafts
@ 2011-07-23 10:41 ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-23 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> writes:

> The variable gnus-message-archive-group is set to
>
> ,----
> | (add-to-list 'gnus-message-archive-group
> | 	     (list "gmail-tufts" "nnimap+gmail-tufts:[Gmail]/Sent Mail"))
> `----
>
> so in one case maybe the connection is an attempt to archive the mail,
> and it is hanging (but that archiving seems to be unaffected by the
> hang-up).

Archiving doesn't seem to work at all.  The first time I set it up, gnus
messed up it's active file; the second time, gnus confused native nnml
groups with the archive groups when splitting mail.  Perhaps it works
when you turn it off?

--
http://www.asciiribbon.org/
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

* Re: problem sending drafts
@ 2011-07-23 16:15   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2011-07-23 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:41:32 +0200, lee wrote:

> Archiving doesn't seem to work at all. The first time I set it up, gnus
> messed up it's active file; the second time, gnus confused native nnml
> groups with the archive groups when splitting mail.

Archiving has worked for the last decade+ for me.

My setup is an nnml-archive like this:

  ;  Archive outgoing articles:
  (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                           (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                           (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                                           (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                           (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((if (message-news-p)
              (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

Which gives me nnml+archive:mail-2011 and nnml+archive:news-2011 etc.
groups for each year.

The default currently is, as far as I remember, to use monthly
nnfolder:archive-YYYY-MM groups.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Good car to drive after a war"                              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: problem sending drafts
@ 2011-07-23 17:23     ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-07-23 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

    AS> Archiving has worked for the last decade+ for me.

Archiving works fine for me, too. My mail gets archived correctly. (I
use the gmail imap server for the personal account so mail sent from
that account is archived by gmail. I need to archive mail sent using a
university imap server, though. And the indicated config works.)

I just mentioned sent-mail archiving on the *off-chance* that it was
somehow related to the reported issue about sending drafts.

--

@ 2011-07-24 14:29     ` lee
From: lee @ 2011-07-24 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 12:41:32 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Archiving doesn't seem to work at all. The first time I set it up, gnus
>> messed up it's active file; the second time, gnus confused native nnml
>> groups with the archive groups when splitting mail.
>
> Archiving has worked for the last decade+ for me.
>
> My setup is an nnml-archive like this:
>
>   ;  Archive outgoing articles:
>   (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
>                                            (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>                                            (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>                                            (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>                                            (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

When I had

,----
| ;; (setq gnus-message-archive-method
| ;;       '(nnfolder "gnus-arc"
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-directory "~/Mail/archive")
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-get-new-mail nil)
| ;; 		 (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry t)))
`----

gnus screwed up it's active file.  Last time I tried the same but with
`nnfolder-directory' set to ~/Mailarchive and `nnfolder-active-file' set
to ~/Mailarchive/active.  The result was that when splitting mail, some
or all of the mail was put into groups of the archive server rather than
into the native nnml groups where they were supposed to go, and I had to
recover from the backup.

Now I have an "{nnfolder:archive} (opened)" entry in the server view. I
didn't specify that, and it cannot be edited or deleted.

When `gcc-self' is set in `gnus-parameters' or when a "Gcc" header is
set in a posting style[1], the archive group is always ignored.

So how did you get it to work?  How do I get rid of an archive server I
don't want?

[1]: When you specify other headers in a posting style, setting
     `gcc-self` is ignored, so you have to set it as one of the headers
     in the posting style.

>   (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>         '((if (message-news-p)
>               (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
>             (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))
>
> Which gives me nnml+archive:mail-2011 and nnml+archive:news-2011 etc.
> groups for each year.

Yeah, that would be nice to have.

> The default currently is, as far as I remember, to use monthly
> nnfolder:archive-YYYY-MM groups.

Well, I have a group like that, probably created by nndiary, which
doesn't work, either.  There are two nndiary servers in the server view
that cannot be edited or removed.