From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: tzz-auth-source-rewrite branch
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 12:14:53 -0600	[thread overview]

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 21:36:32 +0100 Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:

MA> Mid-term, we could improve the returned function to check/add caches
MA> as well.

I thought the cache would only be at the top level of
`auth-source-search', keyed on (format "%S" spec) and nothing else.  Any
creation or deletion on a backend would clear that backend's cache (we'd
know which result lists involve a backend because :type and :source in
the cached result list would match).  Do you mean something else here?

MA> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I think we should support the Google Chrome schema, at least:
>>
>> username_value => user
>> origin_url => protocol (using the protocol piece of the URL) and host
>> (using the host piece)
>>
>> Those values won't work for creation (meaning we won't be able to create
>> valid Chrome entries without user assistance), but at least there's a
>> good chance that the user can reuse their Chrome passwords.  Is that
>> reasonable?  Do you know of any other software that has its own schema
>> like Chrome does?

MA> Once I've heard that Firefox will use it as well. I haven't seen it.

MA> I know that it is used by Nautilus, UbuntuOne, Desktop Couch, Deja Dup
MA> backup, some IRC clients, ...

I'm concerned that this will break the idempotent searches (compare to
the netrc backend, where every entry returned will match itself as a
search spec).  To do it like netrc does, we would require a full
retrieve of all the objects, which is prohibitively slow.  So I won't do
it for now, though I'd love to hear suggestions on how to handle this
problem better.

Ted