* nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-04 15:17 Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-10-04 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

using No Gnus from git (updated a couple of hours ago) I face the
following problem: upon trying to enter a nnimap group with no new mails
instead of getting the usual prompt ("How many articles blablabla") I
get the following message:

Group nnimap+server:INBOX contains no messages

I can confirm that this group contains messages albeit all of them are
'old (O)' in Gnus terminology.

The relevant lines from my imap log buffer show:
18:10:40 243 SELECT "INBOX"
18:10:40 244 UID FETCH 1:* FLAGS

The server is:
* OK Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 IMAP4rev1 server version 6.5.7638.1 ready
* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 IDLE LOGIN-REFERRALS MAILBOX-REFERRALS NAMESPACE LITERAL+ UIDPLUS CHILDREN AUTH=NTLM

Trying to browse the group from Gnus 5.13 works as expected.

Thanks
Leonidas Tsampros

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-04 17:02 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-04 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> using No Gnus from git (updated a couple of hours ago) I face the
> following problem: upon trying to enter a nnimap group with no new mails
> instead of getting the usual prompt ("How many articles blablabla") I
> get the following message:
>
> Group nnimap+server:INBOX contains no messages

Does `M-g' on the group help?  If not, do `M-g' and then `G E'.  Post
the output here.

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-05  8:30   ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-10-05  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
>
>> using No Gnus from git (updated a couple of hours ago) I face the
>> following problem: upon trying to enter a nnimap group with no new mails
>> instead of getting the usual prompt ("How many articles blablabla") I
>> get the following message:
>>
>> Group nnimap+server:INBOX contains no messages
>
> Does `M-g' on the group help?  If not, do `M-g' and then `G E'.  Post
> the output here.

Doing `M-g' increased my message count to 370 which is the total number
of messages of the INBOX.

Here is the output from 'G E' after M-g requested:
("nnimap+server:INBOX" 3 nil
 ((reply 144 169 230 235 247 250 254 269 276 291)
  (active 8 . 375)
  (seen 8 14
  (20 . 21)
  23 26 31
  (39 . 40)
  (42 . 43)
  (45 . 46)
  60
  (63 . 65)
  67 75 83 91
  (93 . 94)
  (102 . 103)
  119
  (129 . 131)
  (136 . 137)
  139
  (142 . 145)
  (147 . 178)
  (180 . 192)
  (203 . 204)
  (206 . 282)
  (284 . 288)
  (373 . 375)))
 "nnimap:server")

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-05  9:06     ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-10-05  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:
>>
>>> using No Gnus from git (updated a couple of hours ago) I face the
>>> following problem: upon trying to enter a nnimap group with no new mails
>>> instead of getting the usual prompt ("How many articles blablabla") I
>>> get the following message:
>>>
>>> Group nnimap+server:INBOX contains no messages
>>
>> Does `M-g' on the group help?  If not, do `M-g' and then `G E'.  Post
>> the output here.
>
> Doing `M-g' increased my message count to 370 which is the total number
> of messages of the INBOX.

More details: After having the message count to 370 I entered the group
and I could see all of my mail as new (the Answered flags were set
correctly). Upon exiting the group without selecting any article, the
message count dropped back to 248. Eventually, I did a 'c' in the group
and after that everything went back to normal.

This process had to be repeated for all of the groups in this
server. Other nnimap groups (on imap.gmail.com server) didn't experience
this problem

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-05 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

>>> Does `M-g' on the group help?  If not, do `M-g' and then `G E'.  Post
>>> the output here.
>>
>> Doing `M-g' increased my message count to 370 which is the total number
>> of messages of the INBOX.
>
> More details: After having the message count to 370 I entered the group
> and I could see all of my mail as new (the Answered flags were set
> correctly). Upon exiting the group without selecting any article, the
> message count dropped back to 248. Eventually, I did a 'c' in the group
> and after that everything went back to normal.

Oh, darn.  I forgot to say that you were to post the output from the
"*nnimap <server> ..." buffer, too, so I could debug what was
happening.  It's too late now...

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-06  9:45         ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-10-06  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>>> Doing `M-g' increased my message count to 370 which is the total number
>>> of messages of the INBOX.
>>
>> More details: After having the message count to 370 I entered the group
>> and I could see all of my mail as new (the Answered flags were set
>> correctly). Upon exiting the group without selecting any article, the
>> message count dropped back to 248. Eventually, I did a 'c' in the group
>> and after that everything went back to normal.

Restarting Gnus after the above process, the initial problem reappears.

> Oh, darn.  I forgot to say that you were to post the output from the
> "*nnimap <server> ..." buffer, too, so I could debug what was
> happening.  It's too late now...

Reproduced again on another group on the same server as before:

Initially I got the message/error (group contains no messages error) as
described in the first post. These are the *nnimap <server> * buffer
logs:

* 10 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (%Seen %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Draft $MDNSent)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (%Seen %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Draft $MDNSent)] Permanent flags
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 68340] UIDVALIDITY value
217 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed.
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 1)
* 2 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 2)
* 3 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 3)
* 4 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 4)
* 5 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 5)
* 6 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 6)
* 7 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 7)
* 8 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 8)
* 9 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 9)
* 10 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 10)
218 OK FETCH completed.

Then I did  M-g and then G E. The output of that is:
("nnimap+server:INBOX/bugzilla" 3 nil
 ((active 1 . 10)
  (seen
   (1 . 10)))
 "nnimap:server")

The output of the *nnimap server* buffer is almost the same apart from
the numeric tags of the RESPONSES (217 and 218 become 223 and 224).

Is that more helpful?

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-07 19:52           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-07 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Leonidas Tsampros <ltsampros@upnet.gr> writes:

> Initially I got the message/error (group contains no messages error) as
> described in the first post. These are the *nnimap <server> * buffer
> logs:
>
> * 10 EXISTS
> * 0 RECENT
> * FLAGS (%Seen %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Draft $MDNSent)
> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (%Seen %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Draft $MDNSent)] Permanent flags
> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 68340] UIDVALIDITY value
> 217 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed.
> * 1 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 1)
> * 2 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 2)
> * 3 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 3)
> * 4 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 4)
> * 5 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 5)
> * 6 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 6)
> * 7 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 7)
> * 8 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 8)
> * 9 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 9)
> * 10 FETCH (FLAGS (%Seen) UID 10)
> 218 OK FETCH completed.
>
> Then I did  M-g and then G E. The output of that is:
> ("nnimap+server:INBOX/bugzilla" 3 nil
>  ((active 1 . 10)
>   (seen
>    (1 . 10)))
>  "nnimap:server")

This all looks very normal.  The only thing is that your server doesn't
have UIDNEXT, but that shouldn't really matter...

Hm!  Interesting.  I think I'm now able to reproduce this bug on the one
test server that doesn't have UIDNEXT.

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-07 19:57             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-10-07 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hm!  Interesting.  I think I'm now able to reproduce this bug on the one
> test server that doesn't have UIDNEXT.

This should now be fixed.

* Re: nnimap group contains no messages error
@ 2010-10-08  2:53               ` Leonidas Tsampros
From: Leonidas Tsampros @ 2010-10-08  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
>> Hm!  Interesting.  I think I'm now able to reproduce this bug on the one
>> test server that doesn't have UIDNEXT.
>
> This should now be fixed.

Thanks! I'll try it out on Monday on my corporate server :)